Thursday, 6 August 2015

On The Outside

It appears I have become persona non grata at the charity shop, kind of. 

I went in yesterday and the manager was kind of friendly in the way she is with customers but also a little bit distant, which is unusual. Then there was the general gossip and chatter, none of which I was involved in. So I just got on with the cleaning I'd started last week. One of the other volunteers said to me "If no-one else is going so say it then I'll say you're doing a good job with that cleaning" a couple of customers agreed and then the manager came over and said "I do appreciate it you know..." I think I heard a but in there somewhere!

She warmed up a little then, but there's still a certain something I can't quite put my finger on, it's just not quite the same as it was. The only thing I can think of is that I let her down when I couldn't go in to keep an eye on things the day after I hurt my knee. I offered to do extra jobs, I've been told it's not necessary but then the manager has been complaining of not having enough people or time to do the work. 

I haven't even told Dan, there's no point, I already know what he'd say. When it comes down to it, it's not my problem and not me who is struggling. You can't please all of the people all of the time so I'm not going to think about the place until next week when I go again. Easy peasy. 

8 comments:

  1. You didn't let her down if she didn't have anyone else to cover you when you were off with your knee. She is the only paid member of staff so she has to earn her money and actually make you and the other volunteers feel appreciated.
    My friend who volunteered at a charity shop had a similar thing -made to feel guilty when on the rare occasion she couldn't make her shift.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks.

      The problem when I hurt my knee was that I was supposed to be doing her job as she had to be elsewhere so it did leave her in a pickle. I can see how that would put her out, I'm not convinced she believes I hurt myself to be honest. Still, she's making life hard for herself, not for me.

      Delete
  2. Her problem, not yours.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your Dan sounds much like my husband. Don't you just love the way they put everything into perspective.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do indeed. Dan says I put things in perspective for him too, so it works well. It's so easy to get caught up in stuff that just doesn't matter otherwise.

      Delete
  4. That's her issue - you know you do all you can but you have to look after yourself as a priority.

    Lizzie Dripping

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right. Thankfully I don't take any of this to heart, there have been enough comings and goings over the past year for me to just see it as a couple of hours a week working at a shop, nothing for me to get involved in at all.

      Delete