Monday, 10 August 2015

I Can Read!


The last time I read a fiction book I read The Night Circus at the end of 2011. I have tried and failed to read many novels since then. On Saturday we went to Bury Art Gallery to hear a talk about Finland and the role of craft in Finnish culture by Anna Airaksinen. I confess we were a little late as we'd been to Clitheroe Food Festival to meet friends then we were stuck in traffic for 40 minutes. Still, the bloke on reception at the gallery spoke to Steve upstairs and he let us in. I didn't miss the part about Moomins so all was well. 

I can't quite put my finger on what I found so inspiring about the talk but something just clicked in me and I started to see things not differently, but maybe a bit more clearly. So when we got home, after a very small turn around Bury market for spicy things an a delicious yet rather expensive drink at The Clarence, I dug out a couple of books. 

I bought The Summer Book by Tove Jansson ages ago but it had remained untouched. With a new appreciation of melancholy I plonked myself down int he garden and read the whole thing. I can see it being a summer reading staple. I then read The Moomins and the Great Flood and have now moved on to Comet in Moominland. They're easy to read and I like the philosophy behind the books, it turns out that my problem with the other novels I've read is that I find it impossible to feel anything for the characters. Now I know that I can read more carefully!

The Exhibition of contemporary Finnish art continues until 29th August.

2 comments:

  1. It must have been a really special talk... I'm glad that it's given you a prompt to find some books that you're enjoying. Jx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The talk just really tapped into my appreciation of melancholy and the significance of the insignificant.

      Delete