Saturday, 1 August 2015

Filling Up


No-one gets as excited as I do when I get the chance to visit Wilko. We don't have one here in the town so we don't go all that often, but we were after a few mundane things - who knew a £5 ironing board that had also been used as a pasting table and shelf would only last for 10 years? 

When we arrived a member of staff was reducing lots of the seeds down to 10p a pack. We were quite restrained and only bought 6 packs. 


We fancy trying out potatoes next year, and had seen this bags a while ago for £3 each but didn't buy them, they were reduced to £1.50 today, and although I'm not really sure how much a potato bag would generally be, these seemed like an acceptable price. 

It cheered up a day that certainly had not started off well. 

Even though we didn't go out, other than to Blackpool for this stuff, we did still eat the picnic. We'd treated ourselves to some fancy flatbreads from Booths, we won't be getting them again, I didn't even eat mine, just picked the salad and falafel off it, I clearly am not cut out for the finer things in life. I did make a tart with the rest of the rhubarb which was a success, we also had a bit of custard left over so I used that too. I rolled out half a sheet of puff pasty, turned up the edges, spread over the custard them topped with rhubarb and berries.

 
OK, they don't look great, but they tasted very nice indeed. 

8 comments:

  1. We have a Wilkinsons ten minutes walk away. They are really cheap for a number of items and stock old fashioned Vim which I much prefer. I'm just an old fashioned girl at heart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been reading Frugal in Essex's blog today, she was lucky she got the 10p seeds in Wilko as well, as for spuds, we just planted a few sprouting ones this year just to see what happened and were very pleased with the results, will be growing more again after we move, so nice having freshly dug spuds.x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I nipped over to read FiE's blog after you mentioned this. Luckily for us there was no crowd looking to see what was going on, just us and one other lady, who to be honest did do her best to keep me away from the rack, I don't know why because there was plenty of everything!

      Glad you had some success with your growing this year.

      Delete
  3. It's not the container for potatoes that's the expensive thing, it's the compost to fill it.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I said that about the onions we grew last year, they must have been the most expensive onions in the world with everything we had to buy to get the soil into shape.

      Delete
  4. I've been reading you but not commenting, been busy visiting my Mum and fitting other things in.

    I grew potatoes in bags a few years ago. Got the best compost (McInnes) and planted them in layers in the bag. They were OK. You are advised NOT to leave the compost in for the following year but I did (because I'm a tight wad) and I got more potatoes the second year. Could have been just I planted better, watered more of whatever - just luck.

    I don't grow veg any more, it doesn't seem to work for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had tried to grow veg in the past but we weren't really ready (or whatever) to look after it properly. Now seems to be the right time for us, so hopefully things will work out.

      Delete