Thursday, 13 August 2015

Expense/Waste

It's been a bad week for the garden. A combination of butterflies and parasitic water has lead to a very forlorn site. The broccoli is all but gone, and it was getting pretty big, which is a shame. But this is the thing when yo're a beginner, I didn't think to put netting over it and by the time someone mentioned it might be a good idea butterflies had already gone about their business. I have tried a couple of sacrificial plants - moving the caterpillars to those plants when I spot them, but there are so many I'm fighting a losing battle. I can do better next year. 

We have been on alert for cryptosporidium in the water for a week now. I know it's hardly the end of the world, but it is a bit annoying at times to have to boil water for everything. I'm not going to use the term first world problem as it's a phrase I dislike far more than I probably should. Our problems are our problems, none of us are saying they're earth shattering things, but can we only vent a little bit of frustration when we're at the end of our life or when our house has been transported to Oz? Madness I say.

I had a bit of a spending spree at the charity shop yesterday. Dan's mum has been after some new films to watch, so I always keep an eye out for her. We are desperate to get her using Netflix or something like that, but as he won't even pay her bills by direct debit because of "computers" I think we're fighting a losing battle. So I picked up 7 dvds for her and I bought a watch for Dan. He donated his old watch to one of the more fancy charity shops last week. It was expensive (to us) when he bought it, but it has a leather strap so he won't wear it these days. We had a quite nice Fossil watch at the shop yesterday so I bought it for him. £32.22 I spent on that little lot. Blimey.

Forgot to say, my compost bins arrived on Tuesday too, so we've set up a fod waste bucket in the kitchen and will move the piles of stuff in the garden into the bins at the weekend, weather permitting. 

6 comments:

  1. Do you have Netflix? I can't decide if it would be a good investment...especially over the winter months. Jx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have had the trial of Netflix. I'm not sure we would pay for it ourselves, we prefer the chromecast, but it would be ideal for my MIL as it has a lot of films of the type she likes.

      Delete
  2. You have to boil water for everything???? My boiler broke and I had to boil water for washing up and baths for 3months but to have to boil drinking water too?????
    I feel your pain over the broccoli. I'm also a bit of a beginner this year and I've been away for over 2weeks and my courgettes are all curled up and ruined after doing so well!!! as are my lettuces and butternut squashes. sad times. Luckily runner beans are doing ok.x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have to boil water for anything that goes into our bodies. Tea towels and dishes can be washed as long as the water is above 65 degrees. But for teeth cleaning, cooking, drinking etc it has to be boiled first. Needless to say, there has been a run on bottled water in the supermarkets.

      I was hoping the boil alert would be lifted this morning, but no such luck.

      Delete
  3. How scary with the water problems, I heard on the news that it could be another week until you are back to normal. I hope you are managing okay xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I suspect the chance of becoming ill was/is very small but Dan has a compromised immune system so I don't like to take any chances, and a girl I shared a house with at university once decided to swim across the Ouse and was made ill by cryptosporidium, it was deeply unpleasant!

      Delete