Wednesday, 5 August 2015

Do Instead of Buy

What I learned from the week of not buying anything is that when you don't buy anything you don't spend any money and it's the best way to use what you have.

I know that's the most obvious thing in the world to say, but it's not something I always adhere to, and I doubt I'm the only one. I know that I'm not the only person who spends to save, for example, or that buys something to make use of something else. The thing is that often not buying something else makes a use for the original thing obvious. 

For example our puddings last week. I know that some of our meals would be the type of thing where Dan says "that was really nice, but I could still eat something", I generally say that we don't have anything so we either go without, he has some cereal or we go to buy something. But just by thinking about it I came up with multiple options, it just took that little bit of thought, I was going to say creativity, but it wasn't that grand.

Last night we ate a mystery item from the freezer. Turns out it was just green lentils in tomato sauce, I turned it into a pasta bake with some of the tagliatelle that seems to have been overlooked every day since I bought it. It was delicious. We had been having the regular conversation about getting rid of the freezer, but then decided it was worth keeping for the time being due to life saving meals such as this. 

We made it to MIMA on Sunday after all. I'm really glad we did, all three exhibitions were excellent. The office of Useful Art, which is all about applied art, really inspired us to have a great discussion about how we got to where we are, the positives and negatives of our decisions over the past 14 years of being together and where we want to head over the coming years. It's the benefit of a long drive and seeing new things, well almost all new, we had seen Baby Marx by Pedro Reyes before, but I love it so much I didn't mind at all. 

For anyone in the North West just a public service announcement Art From Elsewhere will be at the Harris Gallery in Preston between 10th October and 30th November. It's currently on at MIMA and I would really recommend it. There are pieces by Ai Weiwei, Glenn Ligon (also currently on show at Tate Liverpool if anyone's off to see the Jackson Pollock exhibition) and Jenny Holzer along with plenty of others to excite and delight. The exhibition is still on in Middlesbrough until the end of September. 

2 comments:

  1. I like the idea of 'mystery meals' in the freezer - I'm hopeless at labelling the leftovers. Jx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm usually pretty good at labeling, I don't know what happened this time. Still, it added a bit of excitement to our meal time!

      Delete