Wednesday, 19 August 2015

Be Gone, Pumpkin

The chalk paint nightmare is over. Why I ever went with a fad I'll never know, but I did and lived to regret it. I have never really known the best way to go with the kitchenette tv unit and I thought a nice zingy pumpkin orange interior would be good. The colour was good but I disliked everything about the paint so I got no further. 


before

Not wanting to throw good money after bad I used some emulsion we had in the garage, it's the colour I used for the spare bedroom which is a really really pale grey, called Nantucket, it was a New England paint from B&Q I don't know if they still stock it. In the north-east facing bedroom is looks pale blue-grey, but in the living area it appears to be pure grey and gorgeous. 


during
I've painted furniture with emulsion before, I did the dining chairs and table legs and was impressed with how robust it has been, especially as the set was a pretty cheap and cheerful one from Ikea. 


still during


The interior needs another coat and I need to clean up the glass and give the exterior a coat of wax but it looks so much better, Dan loves it too and it was a zero cost project. 



You may notice evidence of another project on the chair!

15 comments:

  1. Looks great. You can't beat an inexpensive DIY project.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks great :-) I had something similar to this a few years ago except my glass was yellow tinted. Enjoy it, dee x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for nipping in to comment, I love the idea of the yellow glass.

      Delete
  3. I love how your unit has turned out! Very fresh looking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, it suits the room really well.

      Delete
  4. I like the new colour of the unit. So fresh looking. You say you are going to wax it, just wondering what type of wax and what does it do for the paint?
    Carolx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you.

      The wax I have is clear Briwax and I only use it when I've painted something with emulsion rather than eggshell. It just adds a little sheen to an otherwise very matt finish and as the unit will be used a lot it will protect the paint a little - my laptop lives in there so it's taken in and out almost every day so there are many opportunities to scratch the paint.

      Delete
    2. Aaaah, I understand and it make sence now - Thanks
      Carolx

      Delete
  5. A couple of years ago I tried chalk paint. Fortunately I only used it on a couple of coat racks. . . which I still haven't repainted but thanks for the reminder and perhaps this autumn I might take them off the wall and use a nice Farrow and Ball that really DOES what it says on the tin :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've only used F&B on walls but it certainly does do the job with no messing around.

      Delete