Thursday, 20 August 2015

All I Have To Do Is Steam

Today marks the start of the third week of not being able to drink the tap water. We're pretty much in the swing of it but it is mildly annoying at times. Cooled boiled water is not particularly nice to drink, the rabbits won't drink it at all, our veg patch was looking a bit forlorn due to some nice sunny weather this week and my hands have taken a bit of damage due to washing up in really hot water even though I have been wearing gloves. 

Thankfully it rained yesterday and early this morning so the plants are looking better, other than the broccoli which has been totally decimated by caterpillars - still, we're doing our bit for wildlife. We went to see Dan's mum the other night and brought 22 litres of tap water back with us, much to the delight of the buns and tomatoes. 

I like to clean the house with a big bucket of soapy water, I know we'd almost certainly be totally safe with that method, but I don't want to risk making Dan ill so yet again I am thankful to my handheld steamer. I've been using it for everything the past few days and I am happy to live without the nice citrus smell I usually choose as it's kept everywhere sparkling, and I've done no more harm to my hands. I knew I really liked my steamer before, but I have found myself on the verge of hugging it recently! 

12 comments:

  1. I've never tried a steamer, but liked the idea. Will look in to it more now xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought about it for ages before I bought mine, but I'm glad I did. It's been brilliant this week, and I love it for cleaning rabbit things.

      Delete
  2. I am thinking of getting a steamer - what make is yours?

    I hope your local water authority will be reducing your bill considerably - have they not offered bottled water?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My steamer is a Bissell Steamshot, it's a small handheld one but that's just what I needed. I think I paid around £50 for it.

      Apparently we will receive compensation for the water problems but we don't know how much and we don't know how long it will take. I think very vulnerable people have received bottled water but most people haven't because the water supply is still there, we just can't drink it unless it's been boiled first.

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a pain having to keep boiling the water. Luckily the birds don't mind.
    Carolx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfussy birds is a help! I've found it's things like rinsing lentils and washng vegetables before cooking have been the most annoying things for me. Not to mention the amount of times I've nearly rinsed my toothbrush with tap water.

      Delete
  5. I'm not surprised you are tired of the boiled water. When I first moved to Bali, I had to do that and it almost drove me crazy! Luckily, then we discovered that to get a gallon of filtered water delivered to your house only cost 25p- so we then did that for the rest of the year!x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoy reading your blog and at the weekend I went out and purchased the Bissel steamshot. Im so glad I did, it is an excellent little machine and my bathroom is gleaming today! I don't expect it to clean my oven (I'd need dynamite for that!), but it cleans all the skirting and those pesky little corners that never get cleaned. I wanted you to know I am very grateful for your blog - now do you use a floor steam cleaner!?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fantastic, I'm glad it suits you. Thanks for letting me know you bought one and you like it. I don't use a floor steam cleaner, although I do keep thinking about it. I'll be sure to write about it should I take the plunge.

      Delete