Thursday, 16 July 2015

Trouble At T'Mill

Last night it was a bit frosty at home, and it was because of the charity shop. 

Yesterday was the first time I'd been in for three weeks, after hurting my knee and being on holiday, so there had been some changes that I obviously didn't know about. One of which was the vintage rail. Sounds harmless enough doesn't it? 

The manager had four items made from fur.

She told me they were there before I saw them, as she suspected I wouldn't be impressed, "but, you know, money".

Then someone bought one of them, the rabbit one (of course), there was no-one else around so I had to serve the customer myself. I told Dan and he was furious and hardly spoke to me for the rest of the night. Things are a little more friendly here this morning but I think it will be a while before both I and the shop are back in his good books. 

When I was a charity shop manager I was told we just were not allowed to sell fur at all, no matter what. But that was over ten years ago and attitudes have changed, people come in on a not infrequent basis asking if we have any, it's an interesting change of mindset.  

8 comments:

  1. It's horrible that fur seems to be okay again, particulary r****t.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not that I want to sound like a miserable creature, but I hear about how people treat other people and no longer wonder how people can be indifferent to the fate of animals.

      Delete
  2. I believe they go mad for fur in Japan and it's back in fashion - which is all about money.
    Charity shops are usually able to have principles so there should be someone high up who has made the call and it would be interesting to see it in print unless it's your manager's decision ....I know a lot of charity shops won't touch it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I know who made the decision and how it came about. The next town along, where our charity also has a shop, holds a 1940's weekend, in the past any furs have been taken to that and sold. This year someone, maybe my manager, has decided to cut out the middle man and sell from the shop instead.

      Delete
  3. Buying a second hand fur coat is surly better than buying a new one. By doing so I feel the customer has saved another animal from a vanity death.
    Carolx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's quite a common viewpoint I think.

      Delete
  4. It seems to me we are going backwards as a society and unacceptable things are suddenly acceptable again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are certainly a lot of things I'm happy to be behind the times on. I will never understand people!

      Delete