Thursday, 23 July 2015

Totting Up July

charity shop bargain of the month
The headline is that we didn't save any money at all in July, other than a few coins into the change jars. What with the holiday, the hire car, the puncture on the hire car and the problem with the power steering on our car, there was a lot to spend money on. I can't quite believe it's already three weeks since we went to Berwick. August is a quieter month so we'll be back to saving, although we haven't done the budget yet so I don't know how much it will be. 

As for my budget, it's been spent or accounted for. As ever I have no option to go over, it is what it is, but I think it will all go and I'll be happy to have the August spends. We do have a few bits and bobs ready to eat in the garden now though, which is good and the addition of the sprouting seeds are a small but much appreciated addition to meals. I don't want to be without our fresh fruit and veg, I am eating way more fruit these days than I have for years, but I am going to make the effort to make the pantry the first port of call. I know there are at least three meals ready to go in the freezer, plus some frozen ingredients. The pantry isn't full by any means but there are always things lingering that seemed like a good idea when I spent money on them. 

I'm going to resist buying anything more for the garden, we have lots of work to do, and there were quite a few additions in July, bought bot by us and donated by my parents, I think we've added around 20 plants to the garden this month, including the two tomato plants. Plus, after all the chopping back and getting more light into the back bed three crocosmia Lucifer have shown their faces, and there's another yellow rose, or it's another strand of the same rose in another part of the garden.

Pictured above is my charity shop bargain of the month, I picked up this brand new Reisenthel 'nest' basket for 99p. I have been after something to keep my gardening things in to free up my trug, but Dan declared it to be too nice for that, so I think we're going to think of another use for it. 

This weekend is one of the best weekends in the town as it's the kite festival which looks like it's going to be better than ever this year as there's going to be a stage on the beach with live music, all free of charge. We'll be packing a picnic and walking down to enjoy the fun (fingers crossed the weather is fine). 

4 comments:

  1. That is a really cute minty bag! Veg in the garden is just wonderful though I'm.having a real battle against the snails, little wretches have decimated my dwarf French beans!!x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shame about the beans, I know what you mean though, yesterday I was on the one hand delighted to see lots of butterflies in the garden and on the other hand very concerned about my broccoli!

      Delete
  2. That bag reminds me of the 80's jelly bags :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's very like that, probably why I like it so much.

      Delete