Monday, 6 July 2015

The Tyranny of Everything

I didn't think our weekend away was relaxing, until I got up today and realised it was. 

I have a vague recollection of waking up early in the morning and putting the radio on, the next thing I knew Dan was leaping out of bed exclaiming "IT'S NINE O'CLOCK!". Nine o'clock is a bad thing because it means that rabbits haven't had their breakfast, never mind us or the fact that rabbits have a pen full of hay, they must eat, no-one may rest. 

Then there was the conversation about decorating the whole house, and painting the garage, and the front door and saving for a car and on and on and on. Then we discovered that there is a screw in the tyre of the hire car, so along with the original car, it is visiting the garage. Waaaaaay too much fuss and expense for so little return. 

I have never felt so tense. 

I was pretty tense on holiday, after working in hotels for such a long time I find it hard to relax in one, in order to relax, apparently, I like to be left alone. I also don't like being on the clock, being out of your room so it can be "serviced" finding somewhere to eat that's open at a convenient time, booking or not booking, what happens when it rains, too much choice, and on and on and on. 

I have said it many times before, and this time is no different, I do not enjoy being on holiday. 

8 comments:

  1. Holidays equals 'stress' in another form.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I thought it was maybe just me who felt this way.

      Delete
  2. I agree with what you say about staying in hotels. I often find them a bit awkward to stay in for much the same reasons. I much prefer self catering rooms or accommodation, as you do get more privacy and can cook for yourself if you wish or not if you prefer to go out. I don't really like going out to eat every night as I find it stressful finding just the right place to suit everyone. I find it even more stressful in a foreign country with the added language challenges.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always thought I disliked picnics and the idea of preparing my own food on holiday, I now realise it offers me a bit more freedom - washing up is a small price to pay!

      Delete
  3. I definitely prefer little, sparsely furnished, holiday cottages in the middle of nowhere to any kind of hotel break. Jx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is a lot to be said for the flexibility of not being in a hotel. I'm clearly not cut out for being pampered!

      Delete
  4. I can understand that about hotels- we usually try to avoid them and go somewhere on Airbnb orsomething!x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We don't usually go away, so I think as much as anything I just don't have the habit of being on holiday, if that makes sense.

      Just for the record, all of this is me and not the place where we stayed, pretty much everything about the hosts and the room was amazing.

      Delete