Wednesday, 22 July 2015

Pantry Run-Down

It's no secret that I love my pantry. This month I'm really going to focus on it and get things used up. Not that I have things hanging around from years ago, but just to make sure everything gets a fair crack of the whip. Using the food up is pretty pointless if I'm adding to it at the same time so I'm also having a short term ban on adding to the pantry. This will be quite hard for me as I do like to see the place well stocked. 

At the moment I have - 

penne, tagliatelle, lasagne sheets and spaghetti
couscous
smoked freekeh
puy, green, and red split lentils
yellow split peas
mung beans
baked beans
cannellini beans
things for sprouting
brown rice
rice noodles
sugar
bread flour
yeast

falafel mix
hazelnuts
almonds
sunflower seeds
Thai red curry paste
chow mein sauce
harissa paste
curry paste
ketchup
mustard
tomato chutney
mango chutney
peanut butter
quite a lot of dried herbs and spices

In the freezer - 


puff pastry sheets

3 smoky lentil stew
1 butterbean stew
peas
soy beans
sweetcorn
rhubarb

I see lots of roast veg and dhal in our future!

Also, I'm happy there has been a bit of a downpour this morning, my new plants, along with the veg seem very pleased with themselves. 




10 comments:

  1. I know with myself it is so easy to keep added to the stores but it does it good to run it down and start again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you, I like to have a decent amount in stock though because I did have to get by for a while on popcorn, rice and peas, never again if I can help it!

      Delete
  2. Sounds like you're pretty well stocked. I'm going to try to run down my cupboards for the next few weeks before we go on holiday and try to save spending as much money on groceries.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good idea, so when you're back from your holiday all energised and full of ideas you'll have room to replenish.

      Delete
  3. I just glanced at your title and thought it said Panty Run-Down. Happily I was wrong.
    xx
    :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I check a number of times whenever I write the word "pantry" to check I haven't totally changed the meaning of my post! :)

      Delete
  4. Lots of goodies there! You cannot beat a well stocked pantry xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't buy things for the sake of it, but I do like to know we have something to fall back on and we'll never go hungry.

      Delete
  5. I should do this, but I just cannot warm to cooking. I tried your rhubarb roasting idea recently, it was lovely! Any ideas for Yellow split peas ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not a big fan of cooking, but it's part of my "job" to do it so I do it! the only thing I do with split peas is make dhal, but we both love it so it's not too much of a hardship.

      Delete