Monday, 20 July 2015

Fun With Sprouts



As mentioned yesterday, I sprouted some seeds. 

It was very simple, nature did most of the work, I just waited and added water. I washed the sprouter, rinsed a tablespoon of mung beans and added them to the sprouter. 


The second picture (above) shows the sprouter filled with water, the red thing is the drainage nozzle and the water needs to cover that. The water drains through and is collected in the bottom tray, which has no beans in it. A little water is kept in this tray at all times, the ridges in the main bit of the sprouter provides enough water for the beans to do their thing. Then we wait. 

The water needs to be changed twice a day, so it is quite resource intensive. I left my mung beans for 4 days and this is what happened


I tried some yesterday and they were nice and crunchy, as beansprouts are. Dan has taken some with his lunch today and the rest we'll be having as part of a stirfry tonight. They seem to be a useful addition to our diet and, as long as the house is warm enough, will be great in the winter to ad a bit of interest. I've decided to stagger my sowing, there are three layers to my sprouter, so if I fill one layer every couple of days I'll have a continuous supply. 

8 comments:

  1. Great idea! We used to have a sprouter and enjoyed them in the winter when vegetables were expensive! Good idea about using the three shelves!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm far too excited about such a tiny addition to our diet!

      Delete
  2. What a great little piece of equipment and I bet the sprouts taste a lot fresher than those that you buy. I really like this idea xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. It was one of those things that I kept looking at and could have thought about it forever. I'm glad we did it, they are nicer than the ones from the shop, really crunchy and add that certain something.

      Delete
  3. Interesting post, I was just thinking in the last few days about sprouting beans in the future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would certainly give it the thumbs up, they don't demand too much for what they give.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. The bottom pictures are what they look like when you eat them! They're just little straggly things. If they had been grown with less light they'd look more like the beansprouts you get in a stirfry.

      Delete