It was very simple, nature did most of the work, I just waited and added water. I washed the sprouter, rinsed a tablespoon of mung beans and added them to the sprouter.
The second picture (above) shows the sprouter filled with water, the red thing is the drainage nozzle and the water needs to cover that. The water drains through and is collected in the bottom tray, which has no beans in it. A little water is kept in this tray at all times, the ridges in the main bit of the sprouter provides enough water for the beans to do their thing. Then we wait.
The water needs to be changed twice a day, so it is quite resource intensive. I left my mung beans for 4 days and this is what happened
I tried some yesterday and they were nice and crunchy, as beansprouts are. Dan has taken some with his lunch today and the rest we'll be having as part of a stirfry tonight. They seem to be a useful addition to our diet and, as long as the house is warm enough, will be great in the winter to ad a bit of interest. I've decided to stagger my sowing, there are three layers to my sprouter, so if I fill one layer every couple of days I'll have a continuous supply.