Sunday, 19 July 2015

Fun Into The Bargain

the three tiny dots in the distance are kite surfers
It was the RNLI fun day on the prom today, so we headed down there to see what was going on It was really windy but there was a good turn out, nice to see lots of people using the beach huts too. There was a magician on stage when we were there, folk music at the nearby YMCA, a few stalls, a silent auction, BBQ and a stall from Sheldon's. 



We needed something for Dan's sandwiches next week and so we went for this, buy a bag for £1 (all proceeds to the RNLI) and get some muffins free! I thought maybe there would be a couple of muffins in the pack, but no, a full pack of six. Bargain. 

We have also signed up for one of those 3 for £3 magazine mini subscriptions to Kitchen Garden magazine which comes with some packets of seeds. We really want to expand the amount we grow next year so the free seeds will really help. I have organised the seeds we have already in my repurposed tin and we have quite a good amount to get us going. Dan suggested we have a book for garden planning and other ideas so I dug out a 2015 I got as a free gift from The Book People but hadn't used, it's a RHS one so fits the bill with lots of nice pictures of flowers. 



Father very kindly bought some plants for me when we visited a garden centre yesterday - small pots were 8 for £10 and he only wanted 5 so I got to choose 3 for myself. He also brought some mystery tomato plants. His friend had given him the plants, but more than enough as he was growing a fair few varieties already, so he donated two plants to me - his friend didn't know what variety they were, so we won't either until they start to fruit. My parents also gave us some cut rhubarb and a few yellow courgettes, which were much appreciated. 

All this and my first sprouted seeds are ready to eat. 

8 comments:

  1. I'd love to see some photos of your sprouts.

    Lizzie Dripping

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lizzie, I have done a post about them today.

      Delete
  2. If you send me your address I'll send you some of our mange tout seeds when they have dried out.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you mum, that's really kind. I'll nip over with my details.

      Delete
  3. The garden planner sounds a good idea. I used draw a plan of my plots and mark where I was going to plant things from one year to the next so I didn't keep growing the same thing in the same place and it getting diseased or something. Anyway, needless to say, I'm not still doing that, but knowing what you want to grow, how you've got on growing things, etc. is very useful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now Dan is on board with the growing I think it will be really useful to have something to refer to, and it should make it easier to keep on top of what we've said will go where. Our garden isn't all that big, so we need to get organised.

      Delete
  4. A planner is very useful and a good guide the following year xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was my thinking. At the minute, as we only grow a few things its easy to keep track, but in the future when we have more variety it won't be as easy to remember.

      Delete