Wednesday, 29 July 2015

An Excuse To Be Nosey



I have lost my quilters quarter, so work on the blue quilt has come to a halt (I'm still ignoring the binding I made a mess of on the pink one). So a couple of weeks ago I used that as an excuse to go into the town.

We are very lucky to now have not one, but two fabric shops on the same street. When we first moved here there was a knitting shop but that closed a few years ago, which is a shame. Earlier this month The Vintage Sewing Bunny opened in the old UKIP shop, now it's been painted and primped it looks fantastic. This shop is going to run workshops to make clothes, bunting (of course) and other sewing classes, it sells a few haberdashery sundries and some very nice fabrics - not really my kind of thing quilting wise, but nice if you like the more floral, jaunty look. I nipped in, no ruler to be had but I bought a fat quarter and chatted to the owner who is exceptionally friendly and enthusiastic. 

I could't get a good picture from the right side of the road

The other shop Bizzee Fingers has been here for a long time, but has been under new management since June. This shop sells more stuff, lots of fabric, beads, thread, quilting and sewing stuff, scissors, a nice range of ribbon etc. More my style. The shop already looks a lot more contemporary as the owner has cleared the window area and had a general tidy up. I think we're heading towards things for the more modern taste but still really useful, unless you want a quarter inch quilting ruler. 


She was in the middle of sorting out the fabrics when I went on Tuesday so I went back on Wednesday to take a photograph. 


It's a lot tidier than it used to be, and as you can see there's a lot in a small space! I still don't have a ruler, but my desire to finish the quilts is back, I think that is partly due to the cool, damp conditions outside, whatever it is I'm pretty happy about it. 

8 comments:

  1. We had quite a good one in town years ago but that closed down and another popped up, more inclined towards curtains and upholstery and that one is so expensive! We now have another which sounds like your sewing bunny shop, heavy on courses.

    I hope you find your ruler x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad that neither of these are expensive, there is a rather fancy and expensive upholstery/curtain shop in the town.

      I hope both shops do well here, although I have my suspicions that the Sewing Bunny lady doesn't own any bunnies as in my experience they just chew quilt blocks and run off with lengths of binding, no help at all.

      Delete
  2. Bunnies and sewing aren't the best of bedfellows are they? Mine like to help by puddying all over the fabric and occasionally they like to try and 'alter' pattern pieces for me x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What they lack in skill they make up for in enthusiasm!

      Delete
  3. Both shops look great. I need to get back to some quilting and finish a couple of projects. Maybe in the autumn, when the nights start drawing in I will get around to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been a bit wet and windy here so the temperature dipped just enough for me to undo the binding on the pink quilt. I saw something once that said about quilting being a hobby for when there's an R in the month, seems sensible.

      Delete
  4. The upholstery shop looks amazing - the one in our town in Yorkshire just closed sadly. They seem to be going out of business.

    Lizzie Dripping

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's certainly very pretty, looks like the first workshop was a success yesterday too, I saw a few photographs on facebook. It's a shame when local business have to close their doors, I am keeping my fingers crossed that the two here can make a go of it.

      Delete