Tuesday, 2 June 2015

Useful Domestic

A while ago I mentioned I'd bought a steam cleaner and I'd update about how useful I find it, that day has arrived.

I really like it, I think I've said before that I didn't like it for cleaning the shower screen/tiles, but for everything else it's great. It really helped when I cleaned the kitchen blinds and windows last week, the nozzle is great for getting into the nooks and crannies of the window frames. For the blinds I just blasted steam all over before using the usual cleaner on them. The steam certainly helped to loosen the gunk and it made a really long job a little bit easier. 

I've also used it for steaming some dry clean only clothes, to freshen up the mattresses and curtains, but the best use is still when cleaning our the buns. I keep a couple of the brushes for this purpose, it's great for the litter trays and the vinyl flooring. It makes the job a lot quicker and I'm not using chemicals as much - I attract a lot of attention when I'm cleaning so I have to keep an eye out for licking tongues!

Update number two is on the soap we made a few months ago. I received a soap making kit for Christmas, had forgotten about it then was reminded by another blog. I have been using the soap for a few weeks now and I have to say it's really good! It has a pleasant fragrance (lemongrass and lavender) but it's not overwhelming, after using it I smell fresh rather than perfumed. The lather is nice and light and the soap isn't drying at all, even to Dan's skin which can be very sensitive. The one downside is the bits of lavender, they are driving me bonkers! On a couple of occasions I thought there were dead insects in the sink when they have come apart from the bar. Nothing that a quick wipe doesn't solve, but it's mildly distracting. 

In other news the drive shaft (?) of the car has a crack. A couple of days ago Dan noticed a bit of a weird noise at certain times so he took to the garage as he thought maybe the tyres hadn't been balanced properly when we had the new ones put on last month. Sadly the man said that was not the issue, so it's booked in for a poke around on Friday. I already know this means we're not going to have the car over the weekend which is a shame because... my niece has been born *yay*. It's not been a simple process but the baby and my brother's girlfriend are not too bad and are being looked after for the next little while at the hospital. We were hoping to visit this weekend but it may have to be a train journey and a request for Father to pick me/us up from the train station instead.  

16 comments:

  1. I know what you mean about the lavender bits. We put some in some homemade bath bombs and I reallydidn't like sitting on them and in the bath with them floating around me. Next time we make them we're definitely leaving the dried lavender flowers out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I can't imagine sitting on them would be pleasant!

      Delete
  2. Isn't it funny how absolutely fascinating bunnies find the most mundane of things! I was cleaning down the skirting earlier and then wiping off any residue of cleaner (in case of bunnies) and along comes Belle, wedging herself between me and the skirting, having to see for herself what was so interesting that I was sat on the hall floor.

    Congratulations on your new niece :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, she's a biggie.

      I am never more interesting than when I'm cleaning something. The hay they've shunned in favour of some fresher stuff becomes the tastiest thing in the world as soon as I shovel it into a bin bag too!

      Delete
  3. I bought a steamer many years ago. It's a long story as to why but I used it on my sofa which was upholstered in a blue fabric in those days. Needless to say it took the blue out! So steamer stayed safely tucked away for 16 years or so until I used it to steam the gunk from the washing machine soap drawer, it was brilliant and still looks amazing 10 months later. So glad I didn't declutter the steamer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yikes!

      Good idea to use it on the washing machine drawer, I'll use it to get into the nooks and crannies next time round.

      Delete
  4. I have a steam cleaner, it was a very good purchase, so useful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They really are, glad you like yours too.

      Delete
  5. My dad has one of those steam cleaners and I think he loves it too! Glad it has made some jobs easier. Noooo, car!! WHat rotten timing!!!x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, it is a pain but at least it's not terminal.

      The steam cleaner has made things so much easier with the buns.

      Delete
  6. It's really interesting to read what you think about the steam cleaner. I wasn't sure if it was worth the investment...now I think I might go and have a closer look. Jx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think if you have a specific use in mind for one then it's best, I can see that they'd become a white elephant for some people. I have a Bissell Steam Shot.

      Delete
  7. Congratulations on becoming an Auntie
    Carolx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, she's actually quite cute.

      Delete
  8. I didn't know you could buy a soap making kit. Sounds good. I might consider it when my supply of hand made stuff runs out. I use that on my face, none of this cream stuff to clean for me, make up just washes off!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This one was a Kirstie Allsopp kit, and as it was a gift I don't know how much it was or where it came from. I didn't bother cutting my soap into beautiful shapes or anything like that but it did produce a dozen or so bars and they last a reasonable amount of time so I would recommend the kit.

      Delete