Wednesday, 24 June 2015

Totting Up June

In terms of the savings, June has been not very good, a few bits and bobs have gone into the sealed pot but in terms of cash in the bank, not a penny. We had a large bill to get the car repaired, we had a ton of gifts to buy and we had to set some money aside for a day out at the end of the month - we're being introduced to the girlfriend of Dan's friend for the first time. 

So that's that really, hence no week by week updates. 

We've eaten from the pantry quite a lot, we're under budget in terms of groceries, Dan managed to get the new shoes he needed in the sale and the window cleaner didn't come in May, so the money carried over to this month. We've been able to do quite a lot of cleaning and tidying in preparation for our holiday, I cleaned out the garage, washed the garden furniture and filled my trolley with some of the tons of stuff I have to take to the charity shop (my family and all their friends give me donations to take to my shop rather than their local one, which is nice, but it does clog up the garage a bit). 

Five things this week

1. I planted some rocket/chard/mustard/kale seeds. Dan picked up a pepper plant and some beetroot plants for a couple of quid

2. I sat in the garden and read some magazines given to me for free. 

3. Another garden one, I divided a few plants and used them to pad out the bare borders. 

4. We received a £5 voucher from the supermarket.

5. Dan made some jam buns and I roasted the rhubarb my mum gave to me - why have I been stewing rhubarb all these years, roasting is easier and tastes better!

Dan and I differ a little over the savings for next month, so we'll see how it goes. 

6 comments:

  1. I have come late to roasting rhubarb and it is so much better isn't it.
    It's lovely in orange or apple juice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is, I love how it keeps it shape and has a stronger flavour. I'll try it with some fruit juice next time, thanks for the tip.

      Delete
  2. I never even considered roasting rhubarb, how long do you do it for? Any special prep?

    A £5 voucher can go a way if clever with it. I just got an email from our supermarket with a £6 voucher and there's a £20 one in the post too, which is such a help. We've even had a free box of chocolates and bottle of champagne from them in the past which is a great perk!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fantastic supermarket perks! I think we're going to use our voucher to buy our house sitters a couple of treats.

      Roasted Rhubarb is easy, I got the method from the BBC Good Food site

      550g rhubarb
      85g sugar

      wash the rhubarb, shake off excess water and slice into pieces a couple of inches long. Put into a high sided oven dish, toass in the sugar, cover with foil and cook for 15 minutes at 22/Gas6. Remove the foil, the sugar should have dissolved (mine hadn't fully so I just gave it a stir and it turned into a lovely syrup) cook uncovered for 5 more minutes or until tender when poked with a sharp knife.

      http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1949/roasted-rhubarb

      Delete
  3. I'm going to give roasted rhubarb a try... it sounds as if it would work nicely with some vanilla ice-cream? Jx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's delicious and I'm sure it would be fantastic with some vanilla ice cream, there's a lovely syrup with the fruit and it's just yummy!

      Delete