Sunday, 14 June 2015

Nostalgia

We went to meet my new niece yesterday, but before we went my mum needed to print some photographs so we went to the local shopping centre. It's well over a decade since I was last there and longer than that since I was there for more than a fleeting visit. So Dan and I were both excited to see it, we both love modernism and I am from a New Town so it's ideal.

The place has changed but there were still a couple of little gems that I remember from my younger years, mainly this tiled mural 



It features the long since demolished transporter bridge, the current road bridge (opened in 1961) , the railway bridge crossing the River Mersey and some of the ships that use the port and sailed up and down the Manchester Ship canal. 





It's just a cool thing. Another cool thing was a small display in an empty shop (it was Halfords when I was little) with some models from the original New Town plans (the Town Plan was developed by Arthur Ling, who had also worked on the redevelopment of Coventry) , one for Southgate (designed by Sir James Stirling)

apologies this was taken through glass, through a window

And one for the shopping centre, busway and other bits of the new town. 

What I didn't know last year was that there was an exhibition covering 50 years of the New Town, these models form part of it, I love the posters too 



My Mum is going to see someone on Monday to see if I can get hold of a copy of the posters (and hopefully to see if I can arrange to view the other parts of the exhibition). Fingers crossed. 

8 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. It is fab, I had forgotten all about it until we walked past a particular shop and the layout became familiar to me. .

      Delete
  2. I hope your niece is OK - I bet she's so cute.

    Lizzie Dripping

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lizzie, she is very well now, and exceptionally cute!

      Delete
  3. 1960s town planning was really ambitious.... I hope that you get to see the rest of the rest of the exhibition. Jx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was ambitious. It's a real shame (to me) that there's not much of it left. The shopping centre has been modernised but the exterior has been allowed to degrade. The Southgate estate was demolished a long time ago - the architects suggested that an area should be preserved to show what an innovation it was, but the whole thing was demolished. I think that's a real shame because it would be an attraction for modernism fans such as myself.

      A few years ago another estate, Castlefields, was redeveloped but a few blocks of flats remain. I've been into those flats many times and they are just so perfectly designed, not an inch of space wasted.

      Delete
  4. catching up with your blog posts, Lot going on with you all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for nipping in, there has been a bit of stuff going on recently, most of it fun!

      Delete