Thursday, 4 June 2015

Gone A Bit Winston Smith

Dan's Mum that is. 

She loves Big Brother.

She's also the type of person who even if you say you have no interest in something will tell you all about that thing in a very detailed way, so it's easier to just know about that thing in advance. So for the sake of family harmony (and to save Dan the misery) I have been watching this series of Big Brother on Channel 5.  

But, even I have to draw the line somewhere. Wow, it's just disgusting.  There is an individual on the show that makes me feel sick, whether it's an act or not it's everything I dislike about people, so I've had to turn off. Weirdly, the thing that brought this about was the thing that was most like a social experiment which is really the interesting aspect of the show, but it was way too much. I managed three loooong weeks of it before I said "enough", which is better than some of the contestants did. 

I love my mother in law, but I've learned it's not unconditional. 

Just for the record, this isn't a snobby look down my nose at this type of show, there are plenty of others who seem to love doing that, I actually think it's a great idea for a show, and would make the most amazing slow tv, but that's not what it is. Although whether anyone would want to watch a slow tv version is open to question really.

Here's a picture of a nice flower that appeared in my garden yesterday




4 comments:

  1. We used to watch this way back when, though not the first series, we watched series two and further series' for about three years or so but it soon stopped being novel. I have always far preferred the historical reality tv programmes that are now rather thin on the ground.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have watched it on and off over the years and have found a great deal of it OK to watch, but this year it's too much. I wouldn't put up with people like that in real life, so I'm not going to watch them on the telly!

      Delete
  2. My Mum watches it and tells me all about it when I visit her. I have watched it in the past, and enjoyed the early series of it, but I haven't watched any of it this year so I don't have a clue who my Mum is talking about!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Be very glad you haven't seen any of them this year! I do take some comfort in not being the only one who hears about it from other people.

      Delete