Tuesday, 9 June 2015

Fairytale World


Firstly as Campfire mentioned it in a comment yesterday here is a picture of my white thrift Armeria maritima 'Alba', if you squint you should be able to make it out - it's a very sunny morning again today. Bees love this plant even more than I do.

Yesterday I only went out into the garden to make sure I got my daily top up of vitamin D, but I ended up doing a bit. I know I've spoken before about the bottom of the garden (I say that as though its more than a couple of metres away from the house!). It's been neglected for a long time, and it never seems to be the right time of year to attack it, we either can't be bothered at the end of the summer, it's too windy at the start of the year, or the blackbirds are nesting nearby. Yesterday none of this applied so wrong time of year or not I ventured in.


This tangled mess of stuff is on top of the garden wall in front of the fence and this picture is above my eye level, so over 5ft off the floor, and there's a lot of it. I started off by removing as much of the dead branches and things as I could, but then, as I looked above my head I thought it might be better to wait until Dan is here, as the whole thing was a bit like a cave, it was so intertwined it was one huge structure. It felt a lot like I was in a fairytale and when I got through the mass of twigs I would find a gingerbread house or some other such thing. So after a couple of hours of pulling and cutting I called it a day. 

From the outside it looks no different. 


When I was out in the garden this morning, enjoying the sun and a cup of coffee (tea free life is not going too badly) I noticed this little plant. I moved it last year after it was found struggling under a bigger plant, it looked very sad for a long time but it's doing well these days. I don't have many blue flowers in the garden but this one Lithodora 'blue star' is lovely to me. 

6 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks. It is starting to feel as though we're making progress in some areas.

      Delete
  2. Keep cutting away and you'll find long dead princes who failed their task and if good fortune is with you, eventually you'll find Briar Rose asleep in her tower ❤

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am almost certain I'm going to find a dead thing, whether it's a prince or not I can't yet say!

      Delete
  3. Your garden is looking nice. I once had a nice garden. I spent half an hour each day doing little bits. It really paid off. At the moment it's looking very neglected. When thing have settled down here I will go back to doing the half hours again.
    Carolx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It has taken a long time but now Dan is on board we're making some good progress. I'm still doing most of the work but it feels easier now I have some support. I am trying to get into a routine of doing half an hour daily too, there are so many weeds I think that is the best option for me.

      Delete