Monday, 8 June 2015

Dan's Good Idea


We had the best weekend thanks to the car being not all that well. 

We can still use it but we decided it was probably a good idea to stay close to home, we did manage to buy all the gifts on our list before heading home for a weekend of just seeing what happened

I think I've mentioned before that our lawn is not a thing of great beauty so we have never been able to decide where to go with it, but we both like the fact it has clover and other things in it to attract birds and insects. So out came the spade and a little while later we had five holes filled with seeds. It's probably a bit late to do this for this year but when Dan wants to do something with the garden we must strike while the iron is hot! Hopefully, at some point in the future, the holes will be filled with wild flowers. And if they don't then the lawn won't really look much worse than it did before! I think we might plant some bulbs in the holes so we have a bit of colour at the start of the year too.  

Additional good news, the hosta I bought when we went to Ingleton Falls last year has come back to life! It disappeared about a fortnight after we bought it last year, but I just left it in case of a miracle and here it is. It looks a little forlorn, but it's alive and I'm happy. 

4 comments:

  1. Fingers crossed the wildflowers come up. It's always lovely to see them swaying in the breeze. There is house near here that has a patch of lawn given over to wildflowers and it looks so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think if this works we might end up with larger areas for the wildflowers and the grass will be left longer and we'll just use that more as a path to the borders and veg patch.

      Delete
  2. I love those round flowers, are they Thrift? It would be quite appropriate? I think Thrift grows near the coast, certainly does in the Isle of Man.

    I used to get those little yellow flowers in my lawn and I used to mow around them as I liked the break up of the grass. I now have my lawn cut (my indulgence as I have to do all household chores etc) I hate lawn mowing even though I like digging and 'construction' work in the garden. Now my lawn is weed free and gets mowed whenever the chap comes round, supposed to be 2 weeks but it's often over 3 but that means it works out cheaper!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The round flowers are chives, aren't they gorgeous! I do have some thrift but it's white rather than the usual purple. It does very well here as you say.

      I don't think my lawn will ever be weed free, but I am with you, if I ever got it into shape I would be tempted to have someone look after it for me.

      Delete