Tuesday, 30 June 2015

Bit The Bulghur

view from the Judges' Lodgings

Yesterday when I was getting ready to go out I noticed a lump under my arm, on our way to the train station I nipped into the GP surgery to make an appointment to see someone about it. I went this morning, impressive. The GP was mildly surprised to see me as I haven't seen a doctor, only nurses, since 1998. "You never see a doctor, what made you come today?" he asked, I told him I was always being told you should get these things looked at, he poked me a bit, told me there was nothing wrong with me and sent me on my way. 

Back to yesterday, we got the train to Lancaster and it was one of those days where everything just worked, we got off one train, straight onto another and soon as you like, there we were. 

We had lunch at the Whale Tale cafe, which is above Single Step Co-Op that I've spoken about before. I came away full, and full of ideas about things to make. Dan had samosa pie, which was samosa filling topped with filo pastry plus lots of salads - some kind of brown pasta I don't know what I was coated in but it was delicious, green lentils, and a nice coronation chickpea. I had a creole wrap with salads and a really really delicious avocado and kiwi salsa. After talking about it last time around I treated myself to this




a seed sprouter! We stared at it for ages discussing the pros and cons and in the end just bought it and some seeds. I'm not going to start until next week for various reasons but I'm glad we took the plunge. 

The main purpose for our visit was to see The Cottage Museum, Dan's dad mentioned it the other week and claims his dad used to visit that house as a child, so we went. It's right opposite the castle, I won't say you can't miss it, you could as it's tiny.

the cottage museum , just the left side of the building

It's on 5 levels despite it's teeny size, and was really interesting, full of bits and bobs and with very knowledgeable staff. We weren't the only people there during our visit so another couple had to take a seat in front of the fireplace while we looked around. Well worth half an hour and £1. We then took the short walk to the Judges' Lodgings and as a review of the Cottage Museum said on Tripadvisor - very interesting to compare and contrast the two dwellings. We got into this museum free of charge with the Art Pass (it's usually £3), again well worth the money, the staff were friendly and knowledgeable, plus there's a small Museum of Childhood on the top floor. 

After learning all about Gillow furniture, it seemed only right we ended our trip at the pub named after the man himself, well worth a trip too. On the way home we bumped into some very happy anti-fracking nanas in Preston. A great start to the holiday. 

12 comments:

  1. Sounds like a really interesting day out. I often find that the small museums are often the most interesting and don't overwhelm you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a great day out, we did some clothes shopping and a bit of puttering about too, but the museums were the highlight.

      Delete
  2. I'm impressed that you can still pop in and see your doctor.... here in Hastings, the first appointment I can get is July 24th!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, thanks for nipping in. I have to confess I was amazed when I got a 9am appointment the following day. When the receptionist stared at the screen trying to find something I thought I would have to wait a few weeks.

      Delete
  3. Glad everything went ok at the docs, you can never be too careful with these things, I should know. I've visited small museums before and they're often better than the large, heavily publicised ones, they contain some real treasures. I thought it was a steamer you'd bought. I've never sprouted seeds so I'll be interested to hear how you get on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you.

      We are starting to really enjoy the small museums, I think when a place is staffed by volunteers you can really get excited about the place as everyone is so passionate about it.

      I will be sure to let everyone know about the sprouting.

      Delete
  4. The cottage museum it going on our to do list for the summer as it's not too far. Thanks for sharing it with us.
    Carolx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad your lump is nothing to worry about. I think you got an appointment so quickly because of what you wanted it for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I think you're right, it's a priority issue so they'll try to fit people in as soon as possible.

      Delete
  6. Ooohhhh, Whale Tale has been on my to visit list ever since i looked through the recipe book.
    The Cottage Museum sounds good too, thanks for sharing! :-) Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I noticed the recipe book was for sale but I forgot to look through it, my head was full of other things. It's a nice place, friendly staff, a good choice and nice and cool on a hot day.

      Delete