Sunday, 21 June 2015

Behind Closed Doors

Linking up with Mum today to steal her idea for a post all about poking about in cupboards. I've spoken about my pantry and various cupboards loads of times before herehereherehere and amazingly again here. I know there's a post somewhere about keeping all my quilting scraps in jars too but you probably get the idea by now. 



We bought the jars when our house was on the market and I wanted to inject a bit of "lifestyle" into the kitchen. Since then they've been in and out of fashion at the minute they're in, it stops me knocking packets of food off the shelves in the pantry when I'm standing in there snacking on something. 



We use them for cereal too, it helps with portion control, we tend to use the measuring device rather than doing a lovely long pour!

There are no jars on the worktop, there's no room, and it would not be sensible for me to leave food on view, way too tempting. Speaking of which, I've not had any milk since I mentioned I wasn't having milk anymore. I occasionally think about having a cup of tea but my brain is lagging behind in that regard, I'll wait a while. I'm getting used to soya milk in coffee, it doesn't bother me at all, although I have noticed I'm having fewer hot drinks in general. I also bought some mango green tea for times when I want something a bit more refreshing, it's OK, nice in the afternoon when the sun is out. 

14 comments:

  1. I bought some almond milk the other day to use with chia seeds and I really like it. Not so keen on it in tea, but I don't think it is supposed to be used in tea, coffee might taste better with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We use different milks for different things. I like almond for smoothies and things, soya is good for coffee, Dan likes it in tea but as I said I have a psychological wall to get over with that. Dark chocolate almond milk is nice just as a treat, and nutty ones are nice for with cereal.

      Delete
  2. You are certainly right that they must be in. Just saw some parfait jars in an 'antique' shop £12 - £15 a pop!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Naturally I went to the best shops for my jars - Wilko and TK Maxx!

      Delete
  3. Oh, by the way, I forgot to mention your jars, I like the fact that you have a variety of styles. Makes the cupboards look interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. It made sense to get different sizes, we buy lots of seeds and things that just don't need a large jar.

      I thought of you yesterday, we went to Unicorn Co-Op in Chorlton (Manchester) and they had reusable fruit and veg bags for sale, of course I've totally forgotten what brand they were.

      Delete
  4. I have not used milk for over 10 years, and I don't miss it, I have cut back on most dairy, I do love cheese, but hubby can't eat it so I only buy it as a treat. A couple of years ago I gave almost everyone a cookie mix in nice jars, they have all kept their jars, and in some cases added to them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cookie mix is a great idea.

      I have never been a fan of dairy, I can't stand cheese and I'm not all that fond of cream, yoghurt etc. I find it quite funny really that milk has been the hardest thing for me to give up, and it's not all milk, it's just the milk in my early morning cup of tea!

      Delete
  5. Do I see a jar of sweets in there? Now that's a good idea.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes you do see a jar of sweeties! They're fizzy "Colin The Caterpillar" from M&S, yum yum.

      Delete
  6. I can drink soya milk, unsweetened on its own but just couldn't hack it in tea or coffee. I'm not vegan nor intend to be but I do like some of the 'vegan' food as I'm veggie and often looking for new things to try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know if I'll ever be able to have it in tea, but I'm used to it in coffee now. I look everywhere for new things to try, a lot of vegan recipes knocking around are a bit light for us (we like hearty food) and lots of meaty dishes can be altered to suit so I do enjoy looking around.

      Delete
  7. Oops, forgot to say I love your jars, I'm a jar collector too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, glad to hear you're another fan.

      Delete