Sunday, 28 June 2015

A Scramble

Now I've been to sleep for a couple of hours I am a little less cross than yesterday. We've looked into hiring a car and the cost might not be too bad, I am firmly on the side of leaving our car where it is and not worrying about getting it fixed until after the holiday. I think we might hire a car for a full week, rather than just to get us to Berwick and back. We really want to go to Hull next week and it would take forever on the train. For the rest of the time we'll stay local or head off on the train. 

The trip to York is off, but that can be rearranged and we will be able to use the money we're not spending today to pay for the car. The only downside is that I had already planned what I was going to eat at the restaurant, so I know what I'm missing! But today is grey and wet so it's an ideal day to be at home lounging and drinking coffee.

It's also a good day for a scramble of our holiday plans and to take stock of the good stuff around us. I hear the weather is going to be hot this week, so even if we're stuck at home we can sit under our parasol and not do all that much. The salad leaves I planted last week are poking their heads through already which is very exciting and even with my bad knee I can make it into the town, which isn't the worst place in the world to be, we have a bag of coins we can use at the pier arcade, our flask still works and the beach is as nice as others we'd go to. Plus Dan wants to challenge me to the Mini Links golf course, which I'm surprised at after our crazy golf experience, he's clearly a happy loser! 




8 comments:

  1. We were ' tourists in our own town' while my hubby was on leave from work last year. We had a great time visiting the museums and parks, and only spent money on bus fares. Other time was spent pottering around at home, getting up late, eating late, and going to bed late. It was just wonderful not to have to clock watch, and we had some lovely weather which helped as we sat in the garden enjoying the sunshine. I suspect his time off this Summer will be very similar. The older I get, the more I think that ' going away' is overrated and overpriced.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We do enjoy being tourists in our own town, there's quite a lot going on, and there are quite a few free events during the summer in Blackpool which is in walking distance.

      I think you might be right, going away probably is overrated, I have never had a "proper holiday" as an adult. The longest I've been away since the age of about 14 is 4 nights. I am looking forward to our weekend away, but I think it's because of the huge novelty aspect of it. When we went away last year it was for a wedding so we didn't get much time to ourselves.

      My brother and his girlfriend are VERY excited about rabbit sitting, probably more excited than we are!

      Delete
  2. Sounds like you will have fun with your staycation. We save our 2ps to spend at the same pier affter a walk on the beach. We were in your town yesterday for the club day parade followed by the festivities at Lytham Hall. It was a very long day but fun. Did you see any of it?
    Carolx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you had a good time. We didn't go this year, mainly due to my knee, I didn't want to be standing up and being jostled. We were near Lowther Gardens early yesterday morning and people were streaming into the town, so I assume it was busy.

      I'm looking forward to the art festival /carnival/kite festival next month in St Anne's.

      Delete
    2. We're not doing St Anne's carnival this year we are down for Preessall and Knot End. Might do the kites though, we enjoyed it last year.
      Carolx

      Delete
    3. I really like the kite festival too. It was a great idea to link the carnical and kite festival up into a fortnight of stuff with the art festival too. We've never actually been to the carnival procession but I think we may wander down this time.

      Delete
  3. We've just had a mini staycation and we've enjoyed discovering places that we've never had the time to visit.

    Lizzie Dripping

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All our holidays are staycations! Glad you had a good time finding new places to visit.

      Delete