Monday, 11 May 2015

The Same, But Better


This photograph is what happened when I went out to plant some vegetables. I ended up pulling out most of a tree instead. 

We had a home based weekend this time round, we did nip out for crisps, a birthday gift and a very short walk along the prom in Lytham, other than that we were at home. So we just puttered around, but it lead to some breakthrough moments. 

I realised that having a relaxing weekend at home doesn't mean doing nothing at all. I did a few bits of housework/house improvement and it was fine - it didn't have to be an all or nothing pull everything out then put it back again affair. Dan realised part of the point of gardening. I've always have difficulty getting Dan to help me in the garden, the reason being that he's a straight edge kind of guy. He doesn't like leaving something unfinished, which means when he thinks about going into the garden it's a full day of sorting everything out. Obviously with gardening that's not possible, so he doesn't want to do anything! This weekend, something clicked and he said that being focused on a small area and making it the same but better was a good thing. HOORAY! 

So he weeded the veg bed and planted some tings out and I ventured into the back of the border and cleared out lots of old quince, brambles, plants growing in from under the fence, and other stuff. It turned out that a large part of the quince tree was dead so I got to use the saw and pull lots of branches out - I usually don't get to play with the saw so I was very happy!

So now a small part of the uglier side of the garden looks a bit different, it doesn't look great, there's just a bit more room. It's the same, but better. 

4 comments:

  1. Tiny steps will get you there eventually.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mum. I think we're turning the corner, I would now class the garden as "unkempt" rather than "neglected".

      Delete
  2. Jinx!!!! I also did gardening and we cleared a huge space of evil brambles and foliage and lopped off most of a tree!!!! Bravo! Wish my husband would realise that. The garden is all me at the moment!!x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel your pain. I have been trying for years to get some input from Dan. I think I'll always have to take the lead but at least now he sees the point of doing something.

      Delete