Sunday, 31 May 2015

New Love

view from the castle towards the Ashton Memorial
 
Over the past year I/we have very much fallen in love with Lancaster. It all started when we went to the vegan fair last year, prior to that I wasn't all that bothered. But the more we ditch the car (like most cities it is not fun to drive around) and we wander around the more a city that suits us very nicely unfolds. There's only so much you can learn by reading up and listening to other people, getting out on foot reveals the stuff that's tailored to you, and the more you see, the more that points you in the direction of something else you might like. 

In our case, the new centre of the Lancaster universe is Priory Hall, the home of Atkinson's coffee, I think I spoke about it last time. The coffee is so nice I ust drink it black, and very quickly. Yesterday we enjoyed our coffee with a cinnamon bun, made on site. You can watch the good folk making the bread as you enter the building. 

image via https://www.thecoffeehopper.com/

A couple of streets away there is also The Music Room, which looks very nice and is on a quiet side street with space to sit outside, there's also a Landmark Trust holiday let above it, we have our eyes on that for some time in the future, even though it's only 45 minutes away from home. 


It's a great place to photograph, even though I didn't yesterday as we were just enjoying the stroll. There are plenty of ghost signs, especially in the castle area. And I would be hiding some of the facts from you if I didn't reveal that the Single Step co-op was a big factor in our decision to keep visiting. 

tastes like those green triangles from Quality Street
I tried to not eat it all in one go. 


10 comments:

  1. We're big lovers of Lancaster, we often park at the canal and walk into the city. We did a ghost walk one year, around Halloween, it was quite good fun. Next time we go I'll look out for Priory Hall. Sarah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sarah, I enjoyed your post about Lancaster a little while ago. The ghost walk sounds like fun, we did a few when we lived in York and they were a great laugh.

      Priory hall is on China Street, it's easy to find if you just keep on walking after you get to Waterstones. The Music Room is easy to find too, there's a little alley opposite the John O'Gaunt pub, follow that round and it's on the left.

      Delete
  2. It's great when you find a town or city that you enjoy visiting time and time again. For us it is Richmond in North Yorkshire. Every time we visit the Dales, we really enjoy the time we spend there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of all the places in Yorkshire we've been to I don't think we've been to Richmond. I'm not a massive fan of the Yorkshire Dales but I do like a nice market town.

      Delete
  3. It sounds a great place, I've never been. We are just on our way home from Totnes, which if you are after vegan fare is a super place to go. SO Many organic places and Amazing vegan stir fry last night at Willows restaurant!x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's small and not a place you'd go to if you want a bustling city, I find it relaxing. Sounds like you had a good time away, glad to hear it, Dan's been to Totnes before and he really liked it. In fact the reason we aren't going there for our weekend away is because we wanted to go somewhere neither of us had been to before. It's on the list though.

      Delete
  4. Interesting. I always thought that it sounded a nice place but Terry Darlington visited whilst writing 'Narrow Dog to Wigan Pier' and I was surprised that he slated it. Maybe you get a different perspective from a canal?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess it depends what you want from a place. Five years ago I don't think I would like it as I do now, these days it has things I want to do, buy and experience. It's not a city that spoonfeeds you things to do, but for me that's part of the fun, finding things for ourselves.

      Delete
  5. I love Lancaster and used to go there every year to a cycling event which was based at St Martin's College, at the top of a hill (useful on a bike!) where we camped. We then travelled through Lancaster on the cycle path to Morecambe.

    I've paid several visits other than that to the city and attended a conference somewhere not far from the station, but I can't remember.

    I love the sound of the coffee place, but sadly never heard of it. I shall make a point of looking it up if I go again.

    I did once get a train from Warrington Bank Quay to Lancaster with my bike and cycled along the canal to Warton. I thoroughly enjoyed it and of course there were no hills until I reached Warton.



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can imagine it's a better place to cycle than drive.

      I hope you do like the coffee place should you venture in.

      Delete