Thursday, 14 May 2015

May Week Two

Whenever I talk about how we got out of debt and how we deal with money now I always say I'm a Dave Ramsey girl, and I am. I listen to his show whenever I need a boost and we pretty much follow the babysteps (we didn't stop retirement savings when we were paying off the non-mortgage debt). 

But that's not how we got started. I don't know what brought it to mind today, it just popped in there. When we were stuck and trying to think about our options we ame across a guy called Alvin Hall, he had a tv show called Your Money Or Your Life, I think it was on BBC2 in the early noughties. 

At that time we were really scared, we'd just bought a house, I had my mental collapse so wasn't working and we had a huge amount of debt. We saw this show and the kind but serious way things were dealt with made us listen. We bought the book of the same name and started working through it. That's when my job became working on the home economics side and Dan's was the work side. Early on we set a rule that we wouldn't talk about money in bed and that really saved us I think. That time and space was time to decompress and talk about other things. I don't generally hand out unsolicited advice but that's one thing I would recommend. 

Five things this week -

1. We spent the weekend at home, lounged and did a bit in the garden, so not much temptation to spend. 

2. We changed supermarket to take advantage of some vouchers. 

3. I let go of some things I'd been hanging onto for sentimental, aspirational, and financial remorse reasons. 

4. I sorted out the kitchen cupboard next to the washing machine and managed to reach the lid of a water bottle lost about a year ago. This is good as we're going to a sporting event where we can each take a small bottle of water.

5. Found a pound coin when I was tidying my wardrobe. 

There was nothing to tempt me at the charity shop, which was good, my admirer did come into the shop after "looking for me for weeks" and kindly invited me out for coffee again as well as offering to give me a call in the evening if I chose to give him my phone number. I declined. I also declined an invite out to lunch on Friday from my coffee drinking buddy. I didn't lie either, I just said "I don't have the money", I don't think she was best pleased but there you go!

6 comments:

  1. I remember the Alvin Hall show, and it made a big impact on me too. I did have the book, but I think it has gone to a charity shop to bless someone else's finances now. I didn't know about Dave Ramsey back then, but since I found the MoneySavingExpert forums, particularly the Old Style Moneysaving section, I have learned so much. Other frugal bloggers have also taught me a lot of money saving tricks, and of course, my first introduction to a particularly frugal mindset came from the good old "Tightwad Gazette", which I had to get a bookshop in Dundee to order in for me one book at a time back then! What an inspiration and revelation that was...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to use a forum called Frugal Village, the people there taught me so much, I'm still friends with a couple of them to this day. Someone was kind enough to send me a copy of the Tightwad Gazette, I've passed it on to someone else now, but it's a great read.

      Delete
  2. Nice that you have an admirer. I liked Alvin Hall. I've got a couple of his books on money matters. Very straightforward and sensible advice. Probably one of the first people to offer it that I can remember.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmmm, I'm not so sure the admirer is a good thing!

      I think you're right, Alvin Hall possibly was the first of those type of shows.

      Delete
  3. Lovely post, we have all had dark days when for reason out of our control the money got the better of us. Glad to hear your in a better place now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It's important to remember the not-so-good days sometimes, when you're working through things it's easy to forget how far you've come.

      Delete