Tuesday, 19 May 2015

Do It Or Don't

I'm having a conversation with a couple of my friends at the minute and I think my words are falling on deaf ears because of my voice. 

We're talking about saving money, personal budgets and saving. This friend knows I'm a bit of a tightwad, good at saving and like to get the most for my money, and I think that's what is leading to her not giving any weight to my words. She's fairly materialistic, or at least likes her consumption to be quite obvious - things with names on, big brands etc. Unless it's furniture I'm not really like that at all (I used to be). She translates this as me buying cheap stuff I think, I don't buy that much cheap stuff, I just buy what I like or what is good enough to do the job.

We were talking last night about make up. I mentioned maybe watching some vlogs, I'd watched a really good one via Ann's blog about applying highlighter, saying she might find out about some good products or ways to get the best from the products. She cut me dead saying she wanted a particular brand and that was that, which is fair enough but seems a bit odd. I think I just find it weird that if you're interested in something you wouldn't want to find out about that subject in order to make a good decision. 

When it comes down to it, I don't mind whether she saves money or not, I'm not interested in talking her into living more like me - I don't think my lifestyle is one that people should aspire to, it just works for me, I just found it quite funny that sometimes the messenger seems to be more important than the message.

10 comments:

  1. Sometimes the message given out by the messenger isn't a positive one either.

    I'm pleased you found some of the vlogs I talked about useful, I was never really very interested in makeup until I started watching. In all honesty, I still wear little more than I used to do, but have found some new products that I like to use and am learning to use them more effectively.

    I must admit that lately I have been skipping watching some of the beauty vlogs I subscribe to, and focusing more on the ones that use more natural beauty. I guess, it's each to their own, but some of the big brands shamelessly push their products down your throat on Youtube by getting vloggers to vlog about them all the time. After a while it becomes a bit tiresome, as every vlogger seems to be talking about the same products over and over.

    It's interesting to note that the vegan brands are somewhat less guilty of this, which does endear me to them. I was enlightened by Christine's video about decluttering her make up to include just cruelty free, as it seemed to indicate that some of the big brands that now sell in a particular part of the world, I won't mention it specifically, have reverted to testing makeup on animals due to demand from consumers in that part of the world. It seems to me a very retrograde step for some of these companies, who previously had cruelty free status, but just goes to show how easily they can be bought if the chance to increase sales in presented to them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I agree, I think maybe she expected us to just say how hard it was to not spend money or something.

      I think I'm aware of the country you're talking about, and there have been some changes regarding their animal testing status, but I did stop using a couple of brands I loved that were cruelty free but agreed to allow it for sales there.

      Delete
  2. Some people can not adjust to the fact some of use, are off the commercial band wagon, buying what you need and passing on all the other cluttering stuff, is so rewarding. Yours is the richer life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. The thing I find most fascinating/frustrating about the conversation is that the next new thing is going to be the best but it's never enough. I was heading down that route when I was in my twenties and I'm so glad it came to an abrupt halt!

      Delete
  3. I know how you feel about words falling on deaf ears. My mother got herself on facebook and was sharing something about signing a petition to end animal testing, so thinking she would be open to hearing about companies and brands that don't test, I sent her a list but now am pretty sure she thinks I am one of those people (ie - vegetarians and vegans) who 'take things too far and ruin it' as she puts it. There's no telling some people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HA! Yes, I've had those conversations.

      Delete
  4. Oh I've had that before- it IS odd! Some people, whether they'd like to admit it or not,a re snobs and if they associate with something being 'not of their cut' they don't even want to hear! Pretty daft!x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brand loyalty is a very strange thing indeed isn't it.

      Delete
  5. People in real life think that I am either very hard up or just plain mean. I don't get a lot of interest from people who want to find out more about our way of life here, and understand that frugality is not the same as poverty, and neither is it the same as meanness. Unfortunately, that is the way of the world today, I am finding, and I find it much easier to connect with like-minded people on the internet than in real life. There is the "spending" mentality which makes people "feel" better in the short term, but they cannot achieve the long term security which we are aiming for if they do not reduce their outgoings and make more realistic choices. Some people just don't want to hear that message. Good for you, though, with all that you are doing. I don't comment much, but I do read often xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, it is nice to find like-minded people online.

      Thank you for your kind words.

      Delete