Thursday, 16 April 2015

Week Two Round Up

I am aware I've sounded like a bit of a misery this week. I'm not miserable, I just sound it. Anyway, week two of April, we had a big day out, which was pretty much just the cost of petrol. I crossed a few things off the shopping list (is it over the top to tie the new scissors to the handle of the junk drawer to stop them wandering off?). We've not had the sunny weather a lot of people have, so I have done nothing at all in the garden, and I am starting to fear for my leeks, I think they need more room, this will happen at the weekend. 

Dan had the urge to spend! There was nothing he wanted, but he hadn't bought anything for ages and he just wanted to do it! He waited 24 hours then still wanted to spend so he filled the car up a day early. He is very much looking forward to going to the supermarket tonight, just to look at things. He's doing so well, maybe a little treat will find its way into the shopping basket. We received some vouchers for £5 off a £35 shop, that's more than we usually spend in one week, we had a think to see if there was £35 of stuff we needed but there wasn't, so that's good. We do have another voucher for the same amount to use at the start of net month, we might be able to do a stock up shop to get over that amount, we shall see. 

Five things this week 

1. We tried the soya mince. I am very pleased to report that I didn't inflate like  big balloon, so it was a winner. I used a handful with some veg, beans and spices to make taco filling. It looks like the bag will last quite a while, so good value too. 

2. I forgot to get my free coffee from the supermarket when I was waiting for Dan, so I just sat in the car and waited for him. 

3. I painted the inside of the tv unit, well half of it. I did not get on with the chalk paint, I'll be back to eggshell next time I paint something. So I only did one shelf, but we like the orange and grey together.

4. Picked up a summer dress from the charity shop. I'd had my eye on it for a while but when I went in yesterday it had been reduced, so it cost £2.49. I know all the minimalist clothing blogs say that people don't notice that you're wearing the same clothes all the time but I have noticed on our photographs from the past few months I'm wearing one of the same three outfits on every picture, so I wanted something new (and inexpensive). Actually I wanted it to be inexpensive over anything else, which is why I didn't buy anything when I was out and about on Monday. 

5. I'm starting to get through some of the not-as-wanted-as-some toiletries. I always end up with something for Christmas and they usually languish in the airing cupboard, but I'm using them now, so I'm not tempted to buy anything else. The shampoo is not as bad as I thought, although my hair is a little less shiny than usual. The shower gels are not really a fragrance I'd choose but they're not offensive to me. I've nearly finished a travel size bottle, so Dan can decant some shampoo into it, he's currently carting his big bottle of Lush shampoo to and fro, keeping a small bottle at work will be good (then I can use the Lush stuff!). 

12 comments:

  1. I didn't get on with the chalk paint either the first time I tried to use it. But I had to carry on because I had carefully selected a lot of 2nd hand furniture for our new house, and had already bought the paint. The trick for me was to water down the paint by about 10%, use as large a brush as possible, and work quickly. Watering down by 10% is a technical way of saying that I pour some paint into a plastic mixing hub, add a little bit of water (which sits on top of the paint making it easy not to over dilute) and stir! Also the chalk paint finish doesn't look right until you've applied either wax or clear satin varnish on top. You might know all the above and just dislike chalk paint, but I thought I'd add my experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for sharing your experience, I was hoping the wax will make a difference. Fingers crossed.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. It might not be for everyone, I can't really remember what real mince tastes like, but it's convenient and nice for a change.

      Delete
  3. How do you get a free coffee at the supermarket? I have almost finished my use up box of toiletries but due to lack of cleaning of late my use up cleaners are still there including the meths!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel you'll be a wee while with the cleaning products, but hey, you can shop from home and save your cash for fun things!

      The free coffee is a perk of the loyalty card at the supermarket I use, I think Booths got the idea from Waitrose who have the same offer.

      Delete
    2. I forgot you are lucky enough to live near a Booths. We don't have a local one but we visit the one in Penrith when we go to Scotland as it is much more pleasant than the motorway cafes...and yes we have the Loyalty Card for the free drink too. We also have the Waitrose one for when we go to Sheffield. I really need Sainsbury's to copy the idea as I spend £1.85 a week in their cafe on my Hot Choc treat one night after work before I do our weekly shop. I would save a fortune if they did but maybe they would go bankrupt!

      Delete
    3. Yeah, it might be a bit of a stretch for Sainsbury's to do it! I'm a bit too excited that we're getting a brand new Booths within walking distance, should be open by the end of the year. I'll be enjoying lots of free coffee.

      Delete
  4. It is not OTT to tie the scissors. I tied a pair of my scissors to the wall in the stock room at school because I was sick of not being able to break the plastic ties on the boxes of computer paper so I tied them. Some absolute rotter then untied them and took them. Likewise,I have bought THREE pairs of Kitchen scissors for the staff room drawer so we can open things and there is only ONE pair now- WHO is nicking the scissors!?!?!?!??!?!!

    I like soya mince a lot- you've just reminded me that I bought some lasagne sheets so I could make my husband a veggie lasagne- thanks!
    Great you got the dress you wanted. Since Lent, I have (AHRGH!) bought a few items, luckily most of the money spent was a birthday gift voucher but I did buy an Orla Keily dress in a charity shop today that I couldn't resist!
    x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Kezzie. I am trying very hard to buy very specific items when it comes to buying anything, especially clothing. I know I really could do with some new things but on the other hand I don't really want to!

    I keep promising to make Dan a lasagne, I haven't made it for years and I think I think it's going to take longer than it really is. I just need to get on with it.

    Enjoy your new purchases!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have the same problem with scissors here. They all disappear and then all reappear again once I've bought some more!

    Like you, I'm also using up toiletries and beauty products at the moment. We've finished off quite a few in the last couple of weeks which feels great. I've even got an empty basket in the bathroom now which is encouraging.

    I'm going to start using soya mince for some dishes in the coming months. Although we are meat eaters, I'm looking to reduce our fat intake and red meat consumption and this is a good way. I find it makes great bolognaise - you can hardly tell the difference from meat. It is so much lower in calories too, which also helps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Luckily I don't have lots of toiletries, it's just that the fragrance or the product isn't something I'd usually use - foot scrubs etc. Then I have all the soap e made recently, I should be fine for a good long while yet.

      I can see the mince being good in a bolognaise, I'll certainly try that.

      Delete