Monday, 27 April 2015

Tracking Back



As you can see from the state of the junk drawer, I've been feeling disorganised recently. 

In the past I was messy, then messy and disorganised, then tidy and disorganised, then messy and organised then tidy and organised, then regimented, then tidy enough and organised, now I'm mostly tidy but not very organised. 

I didn't post Father's birthday card on time. I have posted it in time for his birthday, but not in time for him to get it before he goes on holiday. He won't care but my Mum will. I bought the cards in good time, then I lost them because I didn't put them where I usually put cards. I stashed them somewhere safe when I did a frustration clean the other week. Then I couldn't find my address book. It wasn't in any of the three places it could sensibly live - the letter rack, the box of cards or the junk drawer. 

So I tracked back. Where might I put cards in a fit of frustration? Well, they were on the island in the kitchen, so that means I might have put them in the second garage (the drawer things go to when I can't be bothered to put them back in the garage). No. In that case they must be under the white shelf in the cupboard above the oven. SUCCESS!

Now to that address book. When was the last time I needed addresses? Christmas of course, what was I doing at that time, making fabric trees, where's the stuff I used for that. A quick peek into the big grey craft bag (aka friend of the junk drawer) revealed one address book. SUCCESS! 

I did tidy both the official junk drawer and second garage so some kind of order has returned. I have not faced the bag yet. 






8 comments:

  1. I keep all my cards in a special card organisation book, broken down into months, with my address book in a side pocket along with stamps. That didn't however, get my brother in laws card to him on time! I blame it on him living in France and that the card needed weighing ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The book sounds good. I do have a box full of cards and stamps, the book usually lives there. Due to a small breakdown/ freakout I had just before Christmas last year everything was left as it was and shoved into a cupboard so I didn't have to deal with it. That decision came back to haunt me!

      Delete
  2. I always work backwards to find lost stuff, I have a nasty habit of forgetting where I put things, so now I am megga tidy, every thing has it's place, and I can often find what I am looking for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am generally tidy, I've just been a bit distracted recently. Even if I have lost something I can generally narrow it down to a couple of places the items could be, and it usually reveals itself!

      Delete
  3. I'm afraid I'm not great at getting cards to people in time.... I blame it on work. Maybe next year I'll be "The Birthday Card Queen" (beautiful handmade cards, posted in good time for all celebrations...) Watch this space!! Jx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to make cards - even at my most disorganised. But then people started to expect them and I even had comments if I sent a shop bought card (and not really nice comments either just "couldn't you be bothered" type things). So I stopped making them!

      Delete
  4. I just keep mine in one big box on top of my chest of drawers- that said, I always lose cards!x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just can't believe I've reached a point in life where I have a box of cards at all!

      Delete