Tuesday, 28 April 2015

The Spring Fling Continues

After the junk drawer episode yesterday I faced friend of the junk drawer, it wasn't full but it was doing an amazing impression of a bin. Here's what I removed from it



It's just stuff. Most of it went away, a few bits were rehomed in the spare room. The spare room was already in disarray as I'd washed the mattress topper and cleaned the woodwork the previous day. 

There wasn't much room to move in the spare room, so in readiness for the start of May and two large (for us) shopping trips I decided to clean the pantry. I tickled it a couple of weeks ago, but this time I took everything out, chucked some stuff away, rehomed other things and put the rest back. Wow it holds a lot of stuff. Every inch of worktop in the kitchen, plus half the dining table, was piled up with stuff. I parted with the baking stuff we bought when Em came over to visit in 2013, I figured if I hadn't used it since then it probably wasn't going to happen. There was some out of date emergency feed for buns, assorted coffee making devices, and lots and lots of glass jars. 

The glass jars are a hangover from the old house. We splashed out and had a new kitchen fitted when we had that house up for sale. It was partly to sell the house (which it did) and partly in case it didn't sell so we had a kitchen was wasn't too scary. So I bought all the glass jars to display the pasta, lentils and all that stuff. Our buyers really did like it, so it was money well spent. Now I still have the jars but never quite get round to filling them. So I had to decide whether to keep them or let them go. They stayed.

After a fair old while of cleaning, spider greeting and chucking, I find myself with half an empty shelf. It's unheard of!




Without the empty jars clogging up the shelf there's plenty of room for Dan to get out the toastie maker to treat me to his special falafel toasties!



This morning I cleaned out the bunny pen. I shall spare you photographs of that. 


10 comments:

  1. Doesn't it feel great having a clear out? I trundled 2 bin bags of clothes to the charity shop yesterday, along with some small electrically that we no longer used. We also sold some bused camping and sports equipment on gumtree and have squirreled that money away for a rainy day. I also find having a good clear out improves my mood!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, thanks for nipping in.

      It really does feel good. Once I tell myself its OK to chuck something away as long as I remember to never buy it again then I'm off and there's no stopping me!

      Well done on the money making, everyone's in a winner in that deal.

      Delete
  2. I love your pantry. You are progressing better with your Kitchen Spring Clean than I am. I must crack on with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it too, probably why I rearrange it so often! It feels great to have done it, doubt I'll be as excited about cleaning the top of the cupboards though. Dan was inspired to donate some cups and glasses to the charity shop after seeing my efforts so that's saved me a job.

      Delete
  3. I must get on with mine as well. I did a little shuffle around yesterday which was good in one of the cupboards, but nothing actually got tossed!!! Oh well maybe tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You must post the recipe for the 'special' falafel toasties. They sound good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're mainly special because I don't have to make them! But next time the toastie maker is out I'll keep an eye on what he does.

      Delete
  5. I like glass jars on display, we had them on the kitchen mantle in our last home and I loved them, but here we have no room.

    I'm having a declutter here and finally tackled the junk bookcase and found my missing crochet hooks :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Result!

      I do prefer the filled jars. Since I decanted everything I've already lasagne sheets and bulghur that had been neglected in their packets.

      Delete