Tuesday, 14 April 2015

The Danger Zone




Around this time is the most dangerous time of the month for me. I paid for the various bits and bobs I pay for and I think to myself "we're half way through the month, look at how much money I have" then, if I don't watch myself I go a bit bonkers and we're left with not all that much cash at the end of the month (because, of course April 13th is not the middle of the month, it's around a third of the way through the month). 

Yesterday Dan was going out and about for a meeting and asked me if I wanted to go, have a wander around then meet him later. Of course I did!

I have to say that it wasn't all that difficult to not spend loads of money. I bought things on the list - three cards, scissors, bread and mushrooms then decided to have a look around the charity shops. Well, I know people say that our shop is the friendliest they've been into and if yesterday is anything to go by I'm starting to think it's true. No-one said hello or goodbye to me in about half a dozen shops. A poor woman was struggling to get up the steps into one shop with a few donation bags, no-one helped her, so I opened the door to let her in. I couldn't believe it. In one shop the vol even said to the manager "I'll be able to get something done when this customer leaves". Needless to say my childish streak came out and I lingered in the shop for a loooooooooong time, very petty I know. 

I know it doesn't really matter if people greet you or not, and not talking about having someone at the door to hand me a basket and formally welcome me to the shop, just to acknowledge I'm there. Maybe it's just me and maybe I talk too much at my shop - that is almost certainly true!

I did find my way into one of my favourite hardware shops, I love love love hardware shops, they just look so cool. I was quite restrained and only came away with a small tin of paint and some string. That's not too bad for me. 

6 comments:

  1. Where I live in Cornwall everyone says hello and talks, which is nice but then everything takes longer to do.
    Rosezeeta x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know why everyone was so aloof, I was in a small town, not the centre of a city or somewhere you might imagine people to be busier or less friendly.

      I told the manager of my shop that I wasn't acknowledged in our outlet there, the powers that be are very keen on good customer care at the minute so it has been noted. Maybe I can get a job mystery shopping charity shops!

      Delete
  2. I would have lingered as well, cheeky lot! I love a good old fashioned hard wear store.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're fab aren't they, that lovely metal and oil smell and all the little bits and bobs to rifle through (even if I don't know what they're for).

      Delete
  3. There is a fabulous hard wear shop in Great Eccleston. Very traditional and old fashioned. I love it.
    Carolx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I love that one! I always leave wanting a wood burning stove!

      Delete