Thursday, 30 April 2015

Other Things

I've been a bit stuck on the finances recently, as you may have noticed. I think it's to stop me thinking about my hair. I'm growing it a bit you see and, as predicted by my hairdresser, it is driving me insane. It was very short and lovely, at the moment I look a bit like one of those blokes you see occasionally - the ones for whom Britpop never went away, thankfully I don't own a Parka.

I have not been doing exceptionally well with exercise recently, I still have a cough so it doesn't make leaping around very easy. I'd also got out of the swing of wearing make up. So that's back in focus for May, unless it gets so hot that make up just slides off my face as it is prone to do. 

A surprise came through the letter box the other day, turns out someone from the shop (my drinking buddy from the ill fated Christmas party) wants my vote! He kept that one quiet. Dan is looking forward to next Thursday and Friday, he has a small nerdy list of things he's like to do work-wise and an election count is one of them, so that's something to tick off the list (have I said that before? Probably). I don't think it trumps getting to sit on a seat with a portcullis on, but it's right up there.

I don't know if anyone has worked an election before but Dan has done everything from collecting voting registrations (not as easy as it sounds, some people didn't want to confirm their details due to "Poll Tax" and he even met someone who had outstayed their visa!) to doing an emergency delivery of polling cards after they'd gone missing, to working in a polling station and being the Presiding Officer. It was always really easy to spot polling station people, the supermarket in town the evening before was full of people buying magazines, packs of muffins, flasks, sandwich making things etc. It's a long, generally uneventful day, stuck in the same room - many calories were consumed on those days. I think maybe that's why Dan did it, nothing to do with the democratic process, everything to do with having a 4 pack of chocolate chip to himself. 

This year he just has to stay for as long as it takes for the slowest person to finish their bit of the count, who knows how long it will take. One thing, I know he'll be hungry when he gets back. 

8 comments:

  1. Ooh, how interesting for him! I'd never really thought who the people are! How did he get into that?
    Hair is irritating when it is inbetweeny, isn't it! Hope it grows to a happy medium!
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dan works in local government, so he's handy when election time comes round, I think council staff etc are asked first out of convenience!

    My hair is so fine I doubt it will ever be anything other than it is, no-one will be adopting my style! Fingers crossed I can keep myself away from the clippers while I wait for my next haircut.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The emergency polling card debacle sounds quite interesting!

    Lizzie Dripping

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was, but not something I want to do again. Dan/we had to find all the weird and wonderful homes that other people couldn't find/ didn't want to go to in some cases. We ended up everywhere!

      Delete
  4. I hope you feel better soon and can get back to your exercising. I know how debilitating coughs can be and I'd rather a cold than a cough, any day x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I agree, having this cough loitering around is very frustrating.

      Delete
    2. I had a cough which plagued me for six months once, my poor tummy muscles were so sore and I had to sleep sitting up, it was horrible. Feel better soon x

      Delete