Wednesday, 15 April 2015

Home Again (Naturally)

A few weeks ago we celebrated living here for five years. Well, we didn't celebrate it, we commented that it was a fact, there was no fizzy wine or anything. It was actually a little bit depressing because had we stayed in our old house we would only have had 10 mortgage payments left, rather than the hundreds we have now. I also made the mistake of looking at how the house and yard looked when we left that house... it was lovely, but we had our reasons for leaving. 

Although we both had a pretty clear idea of the general direction we wanted the house to move in, neither of us are keen on decorating and we certainly don't have the cash to do all that much. As you may recall, we had no proper flooring in the living room for over three years. Every room had magnolia walls and woodwork, the carpet in the living room was peach, everywhere else they were brown and threadbare - other than the living room and main bedroom they still are! The main bedroom was the most depressing of all the rooms I think, with the textured wallpaper and more magnolia. 



 When I see these pictures it is clear how far we've marched towards the home we want, I love this house and I love being near the seaside, but I don't think I've settled in here and I'm not sure I ever will. I think in part at least it's because of the job insecurity we've had since moving over, nothing to do with the place itself. My memories of our last house are very rose-tinted and I remember all the positive changes we made and how things were a lot easier. 

How things look now will be in a later post.  

For anyone who was even slightly interested in my wander over to Seaham and the East Durham Coast the other day, there is a blog post about it here on tales from a happy house. It's a far more jaunty blog than mine so you might like it!

4 comments:

  1. I am struggling with living in this house and like you keep thinking back to the other house with those same rose tinted glasses. But them I remember the huge heating bills, the long driveway to clear of snow, the fact dh had to have four blankets in winter to keep warm; and realize we are better off where we are!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I always conveniently wash over the terrible neighbours, calling the police on numerous occasions, rats in the back street, having to park our car at MIL's 7 minutes away to prevent vandalism and the threat of a drunk driver crashing into it (happened to other cars many times). You get the picture!

      Delete
  2. I'm not a fan of decorating either. I hate the smell and the general disruption. It must be lovely to live by the sea though... Jx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's all the stuff you have to do around the decorating itself that I dislike, I'm very impatient! It is nice to live by the sea, although the amount of people I talk to who say they never go to the beach is amazing.

      Delete