Wednesday, 18 March 2015

Shop Stuff



I bought these seeds from the charity shop yesterday, they all have good plant by dates, some as far ahead as 2018, I also made a decision. I start my shift at 1pm and live around 12 minutes away from it. So when I found myself still in my slouchy clothes at 12.35 I thought something was probably a bit wrong. I just didn't want to go, but go I did. 

When I arrived I found the words "I don't want to work here anymore" come out of my mouth! I talked with the manager for a little while and we came to a compromise. To be honest, I think it suits me more than her but there you have it, yesterday was my last Tuesday and I'm going to continue with my Wednesday shift to see how it goes. I felt bad for a little while, until the things that I don't like about being there on a Tuesday started to happen (as they always do) and I felt better about my decision. 

As the summer will be here in the not too distant future I think, if things go well, that I might offer to fill in the odd shift here and there as holiday cover if needed. I think that would suit me and would at least be of some use to the shop. That's my problem at the minute you see, I don't feel as though I have the balance between being useful to the charity and getting some satisfaction from it myself. I never just wanted to be stuck behind the till, but that's how it has worked out. I know selling things is really important but it can also be a bit boring. I like to be doing bits of fetching and carrying, cleaning, tidying etc but as I was the only one out of three of us who could use the till properly I couldn't do anything else. It's frustrating to be the person "working" when the others are just chatting to customers or just standing around looking for things to buy for themselves. 

I don't think I feel better or worse about it today, what I do know is that I'm already showered and dressed. 

16 comments:

  1. Hello. Your post struck a cord with me, there's nothing worse than having to do a job which you have little interest in, I've been there. Finding that balance is not easy, especially when you feel some kind of commitment to the company but don't want to be owned by them. When I got to my mid fifties I went part time, easy because I worked for an agency. I wasn't enjoying what I was doing, going through the motions to earn a crust, but then I reckoned that if I didn't spend any money, I didn't need to earn so much and could manage on less. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, thanks for nipping in. You're right, balance is not easy - I'm fortunate to have the choice over what I do, so it seemed a bit odd to not do what's best all round in that case.

      Delete
  2. I love kohl rabi. So easy to grow. It's good that you've been honest with yourself and the people at the shop. Hopefully, you'll achieve the balance you're looking for now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks.

      I like kohl rabi too, I've never grown it before though, so I'm looking forward to it, glad to hear it's easy to grow.

      Delete
  3. You have to do what's right for yourself, you sound happier now the decision has been made, our lives are too full and to simplify and have more me time is good. I'm counting the 3 years I have left to work, I am lucky I don't need to work until I'm 66. But that's a totally different rant on how they changed the retirement age.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I think you're right, it's so easy to end up doing too much, and especially too much of the things we don't want to do. I do feel better now I've voiced my views, getting it out there was the worst bit, everything else seems so simple now.

      Delete
  4. Good for you, it is always wise to follow your instinct and you have probably done the right thing :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I can always ask for extra shifts if I miss it, but I don't think I will.

      Delete
  5. Why should you feel bad? You did what you wanted to do - follow your instincts. I only volunteer for half a day and that's enough for me. I work the till but I also fetch, carry, tidy and do displays. I have been known to sort and also to put together anything that needs constructing. I planted some frilly leaf lettuce and some land cress today - both packets bought for pennies from various establishments. If they grow, they grow, if not I enjoyed looking at the pretty pictures on the packet! :)
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mum.

      I agree with you about the veg too. If they grow then it's great, if not I've not wasted a lot of money and I can still potter about in the garden when the weather is nice.

      Delete
  6. It sounds as if you've made the right decision. I'm sure that the manager will be really pleased when she realises that you also plan to offer some holiday cover. have you got alternative plans for your Tuesday afternoons? Jx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I agree, I think offering holiday or emergency cover will be of more use, and will make to feel more useful too. I haven't decided what I'm going to do yet but I have decided I want that time to be spent doing something important to me.

      Delete
  7. If it didn't feel right, then that's a good thing! Hurrah for the seeds. Aaaa, I want to grow chard! I love it!x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Chard looks great as well as being delicious, I'm looking forward to it. Not quite sure where I'm going to fit everything but never mind!

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. Thanks Lizzie, sometimes being honest with yourself is just the boost you need to get going.

      Delete