Wednesday, 11 March 2015

Many A True Word Spoken In Jest

I want to make it clear that I am in no way upset about this, it was a little bit of an eye-opener but in the end I chose to find it funny.  

I went out for drinks with people from the shop at the weekend. It was interesting, well it's wasn't all that interesting. The first thing I noticed was that none of us really know anything about each other, so it was quite difficult to have a conversation about anything other than the shop, I don't mind talking about shop things when I'm there, but it's not interesting or important enough to me to spend my spare time talking about the same things over and over.

Secondly, the manager and deputy manager bought some sharing platters for everyone, which was very kind of them. After last time everyone remembered that I didn't eat any of it as it's mainly chicken and prawns, so they kept offering me the salad garnish and the lemon. It was fine the first time or two it happened, but the more the wine flowed the more the point was being pushed.

I was repeatedly called boring for not drinking (to be fair I was really bored after an hour, so I wasn't the best company). Oh, then the manager asked me what I would do, as a childfree person, if I did find out I was pregnant - there's no way that conversation can end well, so I just said I wished I had a pound for every time someone asked me that. 

And so it went on.

Fast forward to yesterday when the subject came up for discussion, the manager said she would be happy to just have one glass of wine but her sister pushes her into drinking more so she does it for an easy life. The punchline to all of this niceness was fantastic - she said to me that it's important to get out every now and again to have a dance and a good time, otherwise "you spend your nights in doing really boring things like... quilting". 

Ouch!

14 comments:

  1. Not everyone enjoys the same things and I would be with you on the not drinking front and what's more I enjoy my nights in doing boring things like quilting too! Good job we are not all the same isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everybody is different, but I dislike the one's who think their ways are the only way to be, and push them onto everyone else.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a good job us quilters have a sense of humour then!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We can laugh because we keep ourselves warm!

      Delete
  4. I think the phrase is "You've got to laugh"!! As some-one who has decided to be 'child free' I've also had similar evenings.... Jx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are quite correct. What makes me smile is that people really seem to think they're the first person to have asked me the questions.

      Delete
  5. I would rather spend my money and time on boring fabric and boring sewing, than in the pub on overpriced wine. If that's what passes for excitement, then give me my boring machine any day. My sewing machine makes pretty things, wine makes you dizzy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't say I don't occasionally overspend on fabric but at least I have something to show for it.

      Delete
  6. Oh boo hiss to her! I really don't enjoy the 'Children' comments or discussion when people bring it up! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, it's not a good conversation. It's a strange thing because my family have never made an issue of it, most friends have never commented either, it just seems to be people I've met more recently for some reason.

      Delete
  7. Once upon a time I didn't want children and then something changed and I changed my mind. It took a lot of practicing and eventually L arrived and I would not be without her. I have worked with a few people like yourself and would not ask about children because sometimes it could be a painful subject.
    I pleasure out of seeing people get drunk and making fools of themselves knowing that I won't be wasting the following day nursing a hangover but knitting/sewing/crocheting. instead. Enjoy what you do.
    Carolx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, people at the charity shop are not shy of asking "is it because you can't have children or you just won't have them?". Subtle.

      Delete