Monday, 9 March 2015

Looking Up



After our recent visit to Morecambe I was reading something or other and the trail lead me to reading about Ghost Signs, those old faded adverts you see from time to time on the side of buildings, or the old shop signs that appear when a shop changes hands. So we (well, I, but Dan drove me around) decided to have a look around the local area to see what we could see. I have to say I'm very disappointed with our town as I've only seen one so far (pictured above).

It's one of those things, when you start spotting them they become obvious. Here are a couple we spotted on a drive up the prom in Blackpool 

Opp. South Pier, Blackpool 

This sign for Lucky Star amusements doesn't exist anymore. I took this last month, we drove past yesterday and the remaining sign has been chipped away as the building is to become a pub.



A couple of shop signs in the Waterloo area. 

Rigby Road

off Springfield Rd (I think).
Looking up has revealed lots of beautiful and interesting things. You can draw attention to yourself though, so be warned!

8 comments:

  1. I love it when the old signs are actually three-dimensional and part of the brickwork - perhaps a sign that the Victorians and Edwardians had great confidence in the permanence of their institutions, compared with our "here today, gone tomorrow" plastic signs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Dan and I were having exactly that conversation yesterday when we were looking at some hotels - the work that has gone into even quite a humble building. The detailed brickwork featured on so many buildings in places like Blackpool is amazing. I'll be sure to do a post about that at some point.

      Delete
  2. What a great idea - I read a book once which said that we always look down and to consider how much more we'd see if we looked up.

    Lizzie Dripping

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with that, there's lots to see even on really familiar buildings.

      Delete
  3. Oh yes, I love these!!! It's like looking for the old undergraound stations in London and looking for those arched buildings!x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! All these little details that are hidden in plain sight, they're exciting. Once you start spotting things you see them everywhere.

      Delete
  4. It's amazing how much history can be seen by just looking above the standard High Street signs. I live between a fairly ancient town (Droitwich) and Worcester. There aren't that many ghost signs but there are plenty of 17th Century roof lines. Jx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is something I've noticed when we've been looking around, there aren't many ghost signs but the amount of beautiful tiling and brickwork is amazing. I'm planning to get out and about snapping some of it soon.

      Delete