Monday, 2 March 2015

Habits

This isn't a post about alcohol, it's about habits. I don't believe that thing about doing something for 21 days/ a month/ 40 days and it will become a habit, in my experience it doesn't, maybe it does for some.

We didn't drink alcohol in January, as I think I mentioned at the time. It was easy. It didn't really occur to me that I wouldn't celebrate my 40th birthday with a glass of champagne (mainly because I'm too stingy and champagne is disgusting at the best of times). What did occur to me is how much of a habit it was to drink - when we went to football, visiting people, to "wind down" from work on a Friday evening, to try the local brew when we visited a new place. 

When I did have a bottle of beer on Dan's birthday it was horrible. I didn't get through it and was surprised at my indifference to try something else instead. I've concluded that I mainly like going out in order to have peanuts.

It was context related, there are certain friends that we never go for a drink with, but others it would seem weird to stick to a cup of tea. The pressure I was under to have a drink at my birthday meal was incredible, and the response to saying I was off drink from friends was very odd. Half saying that I must be mad and why would I do that to myself, a glass of wine is good for you (not for me I can't stomach wine at all) and all that. The other half greeted me as though I was joining some amazing club of the morally superior. 

I'd love to say it's been a life changing experience where I feel brighter and more alert, have lost weight (no chance) and generally feel better about life. I don't, I feel the same as ever. But that's good, things are as normal as they ever were and that's that. I'm making no statement, I'm just not having something I don't like, in the same way I wouldn't eat cheese and onion crisps *yuck*. Sometimes it's just about doing something and then not thinking about it.

edit - I've added a tab at the top of the page for menu plans for the few people who want to read about it!

10 comments:

  1. We had a dry February, not a problem for us, we don't drink much any more, but when I visited my brother, he had purchased a nice bottle of red for me, was unhappy I would not drink it. It's still there waiting for the next visit. All he would say was why?, because I can!. We enjoyed drinking a sparkling cordial on our valentine meal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes it feels as though people are more interested in our choices than we are. Especially when it comes to what goes into my mouth or my bank account!

      Delete
  2. I stopped drinking because even a tiny amount made me feel ill for days. I agree with what you said in your reply about people taking a lot of interest in what goes into your mouth or bank account. The same thing happens to us, and I also find that they're far more interested than they should be in what we spend our money on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dan often can't drink as it makes him ill too.

      I get the impression that sometimes people think I'm tying to trick people into something (I know not what). Maybe they think I'm secretly eating pork pies or something.

      Delete
  3. I used to get SUCH grief from one of my bosses about not drinking. He went on and on at me saying people don't trust people who don't drink when they go out and I just had to keep trying it to get used to it. It made me so cross, my main three points were: a) I HATE the taste- I want to enjoy my drink, something fruity because it's tasty not with a bitter aftertaste that alcohol has, b) there must be a reason why I am still a size 8 even though I eat like a horse, c) I save lots of money from it.
    Good on you, xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's really inappropriate for a boss to make comments to you.

      It was the aftertaste that really hit me, you're right. It reminded me of the first time someone gave me apricot wine - I now can't stand either apricots or wine. I am on the hunt for something nice, but not too sugar-packed, to drink when I'm in a pub or bar now.

      Delete
  4. The menu plan tab sounds great - I'll go and have a read.

    Lizzie Dripping

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I don't usually photograph food but I do enjoy seeing the pictures of your meals, so maybe I'll give it a go.

      Delete
  5. Lovely post, and excellent comments from your visitors :} I drink very little these days, maybe only once a month, and then it's unlikely to be more than one.

    What really bothers me about other people 'insisting' you have a drink "to be sociable" (or whatever their excuse is) is that, if discovered now, alcohol would be a class A drug. But because it is legal, and the Government makes billions on tax and duty, it is considered acceptable.

    How acceptable would people find it if every time you went somewhere a 'friend' was trying to persuade you to take crack or heroin?

    Interesting bit on the Channel 4 'Cannabis' programme last week. One of the experts had different substances categorised by the amount of harm they did . . . and guess what was Number One?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. The cannabis show sounds interesting. I can't even begin to imagine the damage alcohol can do, from illness to accidents and everything else. It seems a bit weird that we can buy it everywhere and for so little money really.

      I went out with the charity shop people on Friday and was told how boring I was many many times. The night out was so boring, no-one had anything to say and what they did say was... dubious!

      Delete