Thursday, 12 February 2015

The Sea Swallow

illustration by Hannah Megee

I've posted a couple of photographs of The Ogre on the beach in Cleveleys here and here. The sculpture is all part of a larger installation along the seafront, telling the tale of The Sea Swallow and the Mythic Coast. 

Anyway I was tidying the bookshelves at the charity shop the other day when I found the book to go along with the public art, I was delighted. Written by Gareth Thompson, illustrated by Hannah Megee and published by Foxtail the book tells the story of Mary and her bid to save her town from being lost to the sea. 


It's a really lovely book, beautifully written and illustrated, with lots of nice touches such as including the petrified forest into the story. I'm so glad to have spotted it. 


16 comments:

  1. The illustrations are absolutely beautiful. Jx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't they. It's so nice to see something so recent of such quality. I look forward to reading it to one of my nieces at some point in the future.

      Delete
  2. They had this book for sale at Rossall Point look out station when we visited last year. Looks like a good local book to keep.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I was really lucky to spot it. We've had a lot of local books in recently and they've all been snapped up. Had this one not been hidden in with the jumble of children's books I doubt I'd have even seen it.

      It does have a local flavour too, it doesn't feel like a generic story with a couple of local words chucked in for good measure.

      Delete
  3. That's such a beautiful book, although the last image is bit scary.

    Lizzie Dripping

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Ogre isn't scary when you see him in the flesh, he looks more sad or thoughtful than anything else.

      Delete
  4. I also found this book in our local charity shop and snapped it up too. All the local primary children were given a copy of it when it came out. I love it.
    Carolx



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was such a nice thing to do for the local children.

      Delete