Friday, 6 February 2015

Pantry Check


After dealing with the bits yesterday Dan commented that I was "really getting on top of the house again". A compliment indeed. I have to confess that I almost enjoyed cooking the other day too.

Speaking of cooking, I did a stock check this morning, after spending nearly £47 at the supermarket the other evening I've decided that, other than bunny greens, that must be enough for a fortnight. So I'll have my pondering cap on. I need to cook something for Sunday and Monday evening as Dan won't be here at mealtimes and I know I won't cook anything for myself unless it's really easy.

I don't think we'll go short, we have -

pasta, Udon noodles, orzo (still left over from that River Cottage Veg recipe I didn't get round to preparing), freekeh, bulghur, brown rice, sweet potatoes, potatoes, onions, bread mixes, gram flour, plain flour, oatcakes, assorted baking things (left over from Em's visit at the end of 2013).

Yellow split peas (dried), pinto beans (dried), mung beans (dried), red lentils, green lentils, tinned black eyed beans, butter beans, red kidney beans, cannellini beans, cashews, hazelnuts, pumpkin seeds, chestnuts.

Passata, curry paste, Rendang curry paste, goulash paste, lemon and herb marinade (which has been here for a loooooong time), chutney, olives, peanut butter, marmite, coconut cream, all the dried herbs and spices I could want.

The fridge and freezer add yet more - 

tofu, carrots, spinach, celery, two kinds of mushrooms, celeriac, red pepper, broccoli, butternut squash, leeks, soya yoghurt, pickled beetroot, pickled red cabbage, tahini, peas, sweetcorn, chillies, sweet potato fries, bread.

I think the contents of my purse are safe for a while, my slightly scruffy assistant made sure all items were counted. 


Please don't send Greg Wallace round!

Quick shout out to Widnes Vikings who fought back from 10 points and a man down (Patty Ah Van received a red card for a high shot on Josh Charnley) to gain a draw with Wigan Warriors last night. Crazy game, fun start to the season. Wishing a speedy recovery to Josh and to the wonderful Kevin Brown. Yes, we did wobble about going, but we stuck to our resolve and watched it on the telly.

6 comments:

  1. Love your rabbit. I am still not on top of the house since Christmas.
    Rosezeeta.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's a big grump, but I love her lots.

      The Christmas hangover seems to have lasted a long time for me this time round.

      Delete
  2. You've got lots in!!! We MUST empty our cupboards!!! So much in there!!!!x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I'm terrible for it. I once had a period where I had to get by on nothing but rice, frozen peas, popcorn and tea so I like my food comfort blanket (even though I don't like cooking and given the choice would never eat again).

      Delete