Wednesday, 11 February 2015

Quick! To The Tram!


Inspired by Leanne and Kezzie along with a few others I decided to get out and about yesterday. Partly because I want to become a bit fitter, partly because it's nice and partly just because it's part of the reason we wanted to live here. 

I set my phone alarm for 30 minutes and set off from home towards Blackpool to see how far I could get. Instead of nipping through a tiny gap in a hedge onto the dunes I used the proper path. 



There's quite a big dune conservation project going on at the minute. I walked past the area where all the Christmas trees were planted


There were lots!




There were also two trucks going back and forth from quite far out towards a place where the sea will be if it ever comes in and dumping loads of sand onto the dunes. 

By the time my alarm went off I could see the tram shed at Starr Gate, helicopters and planes from the airport were flying overhead and it felt so close to just make it to the next landmark. So I did. The sand was a lot softer from here so it took longer than expected. But I finally arrived on the prom, with just enough time to catch a peek of The Big One and a tram before I had to head off.



I walked back along the road, thinking it would be quicker. It wasn't but I was able to nosey at what is going on at the old Pontins site (what was happening was lots of men in hi-vis jackets pointing) at a few piles of bricks. 



As an extra bonus I spotted some dune rabbits, of which there are many



I just about got to the charity shop in time, but I don't think anyone else appreciated my walk as I did have a bit of wet dog smell! Oh well, you live and learn. 

10 comments:

  1. Do you know I've never been to Blackpool, I think I was the last person in the UK to watch ET as well lol. It's not what I thought, it looks lovely x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had only been to Blackpool once in living memory before we moved to the coast so it was all new to me.

      It's an interesting place, there's probably a fair old amount of what you thought, but there are also some beautiful buildings, interesting places to visit and of course a huuuuuuge beach!

      Delete
  2. What a great idea.. I must have a go and see how far I can get in 30 minutes. Jx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only timed myself because I had to get to the shop, but it was a really good thing to do. I plan to go the other way today and see how far I can get.

      Delete
  3. Did you feel any better for it? Walking by the sea is always SO restorative for me!!! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really did thank you. Everyone at the charity shop was impressed I got so far in such a short time too.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thanks, I was amazed at how busy it was.

      Delete
  5. I would love to live close to the sea. I've been doing a fair bit of walking too this last week with husband in hospital and me parking a way off in a miserly way of avoiding car parking costs. It's 0.5km to the hospital and a further 0.3km from hospital entrance to the ward, and back, 5 x a week. He's in over the weekend too.

    Funnily enough the distance seems to have become shorter! It be far nicer to be doing this in the sight of the see rather than grubby houses and streets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The distance does seem to get shorter the more you do the journey doesn't it. Hope you're not having to visit the hospital too many more times.

      I have been to the beach pretty much every day since I did this walk so I have been making the most of it - as were many others yesterday it was so busy!

      Delete