Wednesday, 25 February 2015

25% Off



After we decided in mid-January to give ourselves a pay cut we started to put things into action immediately. It might seem a bit... fake to some people but to us it's just doing a dry run to prepare us for a possible future. It was quite easy to start straightaway as we'd had a big day out, I was still working through my birthday gifts, the car had just been serviced the tyre replaced and things were easy. We didn't plan it that way, the plan came to mind afterwards, there's never a perfect time to make a change, so it didn't feel as though we were cheating. There was still enough of the month and the usual budget left to do a bit of jiggling and set a few things up. 

In order to set myself up for the smaller budget I thought it would be a good idea to retain £50 from the January budget as a float/overdraft for myself. That is for emergencies only, it should just stay as the base level of my current account unless something very serious happens. 

I was going to list a few things we did differently or to save money, but I don't think a lot of things fit into those categories. Quite a lot of things we did were just to organise ourselves or to do things we had to/wanted to do, or things we did instead in our free time instead of spending money, so it's a bit of a mish mash. 

5 things in February

1. used cash only for grocery spending 
2. got out and about with the camera
3. more cooking together, especially at the weekend
4. lots and lots of talking
5. the house was cleaned, tidied, organised and embraced - we really have enjoyed how much we love the house and spending time here

We haven't scrimped on things, we've just been aware of them and the more we've saved, the more we want to save. I've been very pleased to have saved £100 pounds from my budget, it was really easy as it's a cheap month for me as I wasn't having my hair cut, nothing was needed for the buns and it was a cheap pension month. Next month could be harder, but we shall see. 

12 comments:

  1. I love what you are doing, hubby retires in September and we have been examining our spending habits, not going to town each Saturday to buy 'stuff' which we don't need, just because we see it. We have enough clothes to last years, and my shoes. Our camera's are out, and we live near the coast and will walk each day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you.

      It's really interesting isn't it to take a fresh view of the resources available. All those things we take for granted, or even ignore, that can come into their own at times like this. The ever-changing coast is a big bonus, always something to see.

      Delete
  2. I'm enjoying your blog and watching your progress with this intently. Good effort this month :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It feels like we're off to a good start. Dan is way to excited about pay day tomorrow to get the next lot of savings into the bank!

      Delete
  3. It's not fake, it's practising so you know how difficult it might be, if and when it happens so you don't have a sudden shock or get into debt! Sensible!x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kezzie. I don't think I've ever been called "sensible" before :)

      Delete
  4. I'm doing something very similar and have been amazed by the amount of money I've been able to pop on one side. Jx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been a massive surprise how much we've been able to save without having to make any real changes. It's very motivating.

      Delete
  5. The fun comes in finder cheaper ways to do things eg a local hairdressing college to get your hair done very cheaply! Xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, you're right, the little tricks are fun to discover. All tips are welcome, something that's obvious to you might not be obvious to me!

      We have been on a bare bones budget before when we were paying our debts off, we cut our own hair for years (something I would not wish to return to). Dan has already ditched the "nice" hairdresser and went to a cheap and (not very) cheerful barber near his office. He has now been pointed in the direction of a cheaper and more modern barber here in town.

      I have spoken to m hairdresser and if need be I can get a wet or dry cut for less money than I spend now, so that's also good.

      Delete
  6. When I first started back to work full time in the year 2000 my wage was a luxury but slowly over the years it has turned into a necessity. I have had the idea to start living off my husbands wage as soon as I have built up a bit of a fall back and saving my whole wage each month in case my job doesn't work out or I retire earlier than hubby. If you are forced to live on a lower income as we were for the last few years with hubby taking a 26% pay cut for 3 years then you soon learn to recut your cloth according to your new means! Good luck with your thrifting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you.

    We know Dan's job is safe until next year, but with the election coming up and further cuts on the horizon we need to be prepared. Luckily (?) for us, we have been on a really tight budget before, it's a matter of remembering and relearning a lot for us at the minute.

    ReplyDelete