Wednesday, 28 January 2015

Lilac Time

A man came into the shop yesterday and asked me about some lilac wool he'd phoned up to reserve. I duly brought it out for him and my colleague asked what it was for. It turns out he's done a bit of bartering with a friend. She needed a couple of jobs doing around the house, he offered to do them in return for her knitting him a jumper. He owns a Morris Million car. When Morris Minor production hit one million cars in the early 60's they released a special edition, 350 lilac cars. This man is having a jumper made to match the colour of the car!

We went straight out after I'd been at the shop yesterday so I didn't see the garden until this morning. For quite a few years I've been unhappy about a large tree in the garden across the back (there, no back street between the houses so our garden wall is the garden wall of the neighbour behind, if you see what I mean). It was a lovely tree and very useful for the birds but it meant that the majority of our garden was in shade which I wasn't as keen on. Well, the tree has gone! The large tree and a slightly smaller one next to it have been chopped, they're not totally gone but there's probably 2/3 smaller than they were. Dan isn't very happy as he is a tree lover, I'm in two minds about it, especially on behalf of the birds, but I'll appreciate having more sun for my vegetables in the summer. 

Looking out of the bedroom window it's now clear that our garden has more plants in it than most of the other houses in our street and the street behind. It's quite sad really, on the plus side our garden looks far more interesting, if a little crazy. 

12 comments:

  1. Even trimming a tree can make so much difference to the light in a garden.

    Lizzie Dripping

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The house was so much lighter yesterday, even though it was dull, on a sunny day it will be amazing!

      Delete
  2. Love the idea of jumper matching the Morris Minor. I used to have a MM pick up truck until the late 70s, sadly just before I met my husband. I sold it about the week before, which was a shame as he could have restored it for me!!! I missed that car, it took me from home to the Scottish borders, and down to Dorset over the years. If I had it still it would be worth a fortune as they are more scarce than the saloons. Same applied to the Mini Pick ups, I had one of those and now they're like hens' teeth.

    It's difficult to know what to do about trees. I think you will be glad to have a little more daylight in your garden and it will grow back for the wild life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love those mini pickups! Not that I can drive but I, like most people, enjoy looking at vintage vehicles.

      The garden is full of birds this morning so they haven't been put off by the lack of trees!

      Delete
  3. How cool, to match your car! My mum had a pale blue Morris Minor!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, how stylish! I love that you still see a lot of MM around the place, they're such fun.

      Delete
  4. I didn't know about the Morris Million car - that's really interesting. We have another iconic British car (a Marcos) and my husband is always trying to find clothes to match his 'baby'. Jx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh, you have a lovely car! I really enjoy the fact that some men like to match their clothing to their vintage car, I'm going to keep an eye out for that this year!

      Delete
  5. A friend of ours as a couple of vintage cars but I can't see him matching his clothes to his cars though. Sounds like fun to me although not with my car it's blue with red upholstery.
    Carolx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'd certainly be noticed wearing red and blue! We'd look very dull if we matched our car - it's black.

      Delete
  6. Our neighbours have trimmed their tree's, it's such a shame, I am a tree lover as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We'd never had a garden before we moved here, so to have trees nearby is still very exciting, We have two ornamental cherry trees in our garden, maybe they'll look extra pretty with the others gone.

      Delete