Wednesday, 7 January 2015

Ins and Outs

I had always been an untidy person, when I was little my room was a tip, no floor space to been seen, a bed full of "stuff", pockets full and things stuffed into all manner of nooks and crannies. Then I'd have a clear out and things would be perfect. Then I'd silt everything up again. On and on it went in a cycle of all or nothing. Then in 2003 I left my job and it was time to deal with things. 

For a while I churned my stuff, moving it around and around but not getting anywhere. I think I spoke about it ages ago, but my house was bad, tv show bad, keep the blinds closed bad. Then one day in 2004 someone turned up at the house unexpectedly and I had to let them in. It was awful, the man was very pleasant but spoke to me as though I was stupid. It was the jolt I needed. Don't roll your eyes but someone pointed me in the direction of the one and only Flylady and my life changed forever. Very slowly, but permanently.

Like many people I've been having a sort out at the start of this year and I can't help but notice that most of the things I'm getting rid of aren't things we've bought ourselves. They're gifts, they're "I saw this and thought of you" things, bits of nothing, bought with kindness but not helping me. When the house was a mess it was because I felt the need to hang on to memories, I don't need to do that now and can't cope with the stuff. 

Sorry to say that a lot of the things that have left the house were Christmas gifts. I feel bad that my family waste their money, I do ask them not to but they choose to do it anyway. I can't hold on to things just to prevent someone else from feeling guilty. 

So now things are back to normal and I can breathe. 

6 comments:

  1. My neighbour is the best editor I know - she can throw stuff out the second whatever it is, is now longer useful to her or it's something she doesn't like - unwanted gifts etc.
    Being older than her and growing up in an era of little consumer goods I have great difficulty letting go however under her influence I am getting better.
    Unwanted presents go straight to charity out of area as I wouldn't want to offend the giver...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, if it is possible to donate in a different area it can save awkwardness. There are many times people come into the charity shop and the child/husband/whoever says "Oh I have one like that" and the person they've with shakes their head at us so we know who has been decluttering in secret!

      Delete
  2. I think you're going to have to have another word with them. They obviously only think they know the real you. Some of my gifts 'go round again' too.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think what I say and what they hear are two very different things! I received a regifted item for my birthday. I know this lady is a frequent regifter so I was excited to see what she chose for me, it wasn't a secret.

      Delete
  3. I'm so glad to have some space after Christmas too.

    Lizzie Dripping

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's an intense time isn't it, we need a bit of mental and physical pace afterwards I think.

      Delete