Friday, 26 December 2014

The Longest Day

I read something today which struck a chord, in terms of Christmas - if you lose the magic, it never comes back.

For me, Christmas Day is like waiting in for a delivery. I can't go out, I can't really relax, and I can't get stuck into a project because this thing thing is going to arrive at some point.

I understand that, why and how people get excitement and joy from this time of year but I just don't have that, and haven't done so since I was little. To be honest, it doesn't bother me, it's nice to see people so happy and finding the wonderful in the smallest things. It's nice to see people expressing their faith, it's nice to see lights and hear people singing in the streets. I love hunting out and giving gifts and I love making things and filling the house with shiny things.

Boxing Day, however, is the best!

6 comments:

  1. Christmas Day for me is a trial - I have never done what I would like which is to go away and pretend it's not happening....however Boxing Day is a different kettle of fish.... husband goes off to football and I can watch drivel on the telly with nothing expected of me other than to top up the cats food on an hourly basis.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you. Boxing Day is far more real to me, no more forced jollity and more time to relax and just be normal I am forever thankful for all the sport on this day!

      Delete
  2. I hate all this forced activity. I decided to tell DIL we wanted to be on our own this year and I am scared of cooking big meals for others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you had a relaxing time. Spending time with people is fine, going through the thing where we have this weird semi-formal/ acting differently thing is not for me.

      Delete
  3. I completely agree - I find Christmas and Boxing Day stressful but I love the 10 days after.

    Lizzie's Daily Blog

    ReplyDelete