Monday, 22 December 2014

The Calm and the Storm

OK, so not a storm but it's a bit windy and the sea is huge.

The calm was the town. We went for a poke around and to buy myself a new laptop. Dan was the driving force behind this as on the rare occasions he sees my using my laptop it sends him into a rage. It is so old, clunky noisy and taped together it's amazing anything gets done. 

This morning we saw an advert on tv and I said were I to get a new laptop that's the one I'd want. So I was sent upstairs to get dressed and off we went to the shop! When we arrived it was £30 less than we thought, which meant it was under £200, it's idea for my needs. So we are both happy. The shop was set up to be very busy, there were lots of staff - way more than usual, but there was only one other shopper other than us, service was swift! 

We've found that a lot this year, I've been reading lots about crowded shops and people in certain areas of the internet are being very snooty about the amount of stuff people are buying. I haven't seen it at all, I must just be in the right place at the right time. The only place we've been to that has been far busier than usual was Lush. As I said the other day, Dan has found a shampoo there that doesn't make his head bleed so we nipped in for a big bottle. It was more squeezed in than nipped in, it was heaving. We were still able to grab and go though. Our town has been very quiet, I really feel for the shopkeepers, there's nothing doing at all. The owner of a boutique around the corner from our shop has been very quiet - one day last week she had a single customer all day. Very sad. 

I still have two days to do at the charity shop this week, tomorrow and Christmas Eve. I'm interested to see how many people come out, especially if the weather is as blustery as today. Could be long afternoons ahead, maybe I should sneak in a flask of sherry.

8 comments:

  1. I agree. I've not found it that busy in some shops in the lead up to Christmas. I think it must be partly down to a lot of people shopping online, which if it is, is going to have serious repercussions for shops in the future. I feel for them too. It must be very difficult and demoralising after you've invested so much effort, money and time in acquiring and fitting out premises.

    I hope you enjoy you last two days at the charity shop and then have a super Christmas and New Year. Wishing you alll the best for 2015.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think online shopping has been big this time round. Our area manager has been leaning on the shop manager saying that takings are down (we know!) but as the manager said herself - she's done all her shopping online so she can't expect other people not to do the same.

      Thank you for your good wishes, all the best to you and your family.

      Delete
  2. Shops have been busy where I live. And all the coffee shops as well.
    I soppose it varies from place to place. I am all done now. So can now relax.
    Sending you Christmas Wishes.
    Rosezeeta.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you're right, the coffee shops have been packed. We have quite a few cafes and coffee shops in the town, some only open at the weekend out of season, but the others are all doing very well it would appear.

      Glad to hear you're done and dusted, enjoy your relaxation time, best wishes to you.

      Delete
  3. Good luck working - I think Christmas Eve may be surprisingly busy.

    Lizzie's Daily Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I'd rather it was busy time goes more quickly.

      Delete
  4. We went into town today for last minute things (the bearded one buying my xmas present) and it was quite, but often is on xmas eve. Lots being bought on line I suppose. I asked my son for Lush stuff for Xmas, he was cursing me as he said it was so packed he just picked up anything he could actually get to so not sure what I will be getting! Hope you have a good xmas x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Enjoy your surprise bundle of Lush. Best wishes.

      Delete