Sunday, 28 December 2014

Sneaky and the Illuminated Jigsaw

We went to the supermarket today. We didn't really buy any extra food or change our shopping routine for Christmas, so needed the usual things. When we were going round I started to notice how some of the prices had gone up. Some things just by a penny or so, other things by 10-20p, other things were the same price but for a smaller amount (extra sneaky in my opinion).

I suppose Christmas is a good time to put prices up, people are maybe just going to buy what they buy and not look at the price as much as usual. I did notice and I toyed with not buying a few things but we bought what we'd gone in for and I will have a think about things when I do the menu plan in the next few days. We can still come in under budget, but we may eat less of certain things, we'll certainly be keeping an eye on portion sizes so that will help offset price increases - for now at least. 

We also accidentally did some sales shopping on Saturday. We decided to have a drive and ended up in Clitheroe, we bumped into some people Dan knew, did some window shopping and through the window saw something we'd been looking for - a light shade for the ceiling pendant. When we got to the till the item was 20% off, so we paid £11 less than anticipated. Now all we have to do is fit together the jigsaw and the living room is one step closer to completion!

8 comments:

  1. I agree that prices seem to be sky high. I was in town the other week and the price of clothing was astronomical. One dress in Top Shop was £100. Perhaps I'm out of touch but how on earth do people manage if they buy new all the time?
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's something I often think Mum. I do buy new sometimes but it pains me to do so!

      Delete
  2. I still have plenty of food, but will need to go out for milk. Untill everything has gone I will not do a food shop, so we may have some interesting meals by the end of it.
    Rosezeeta.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that, when the menu just becomes so random with a spoonful of this and combinations you'd never normally put together.

      We have been eating from the freezer and pantry for the past few weeks, other than clementines, potatoes and onions we haven't had any fresh fruit or veg. I was glad of the freezer cooking last week when I was ill. It will be nice to have something fresh tonight though.

      Delete
  3. I love shopping in the holidays - I just buy rubbish too :)

    Lizzie Dripping

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be no fun if we were sensible all the time would it?

      Delete
  4. I must admit that I did a bit of sale shopping too. A pair of jeans for Little Bird and a few cards and wrap and things in preparation for next Christmas!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If it's on the list, or you know it's going to be used then it can be a good thing. You'll never see me at 5am in the Next queue though!

      Delete