Tuesday, 30 December 2014

Putting Our Heads Together

This was going to be about not spending much, but then the "service needed" message appeared on the car and the oil light came on. Dan stuck a large amount of oil into the oil area (?) but after poking the stick in it still seems low. So instead of putting it off he's taken it in today, seems sensible as we might be having a couple of longish trips soon.

I don't know many, if any, people are fans of New Year's Eve but we certainly are not. I can't be bothered to go out as ever and there's never anything on the tv I want to watch so it can be a drag, just like Christmas Day. So we thought about nipping to M&S for some snacky foods, getting a boxset of something from HMV or the charity shop and having a few drinks. We already had to nip out for some biscuits as Dan's Dad has invited himself over today.

Yesterday I said to Dan that I thought we had a cake in the freezer from the parcel Em sent to us last month. So he took that out, saved money on biscuits. We picked up some reduced garlic bread last week, so that will do for NYE along with some samosas we had left, there are still loads of onions in the garage so I can make some baked bhajis to go with the last of the batch cooked curry. Dan has seen a couple of things on 4OD we might want to watch instead of looking for a boxset in the shops, we received quite a bit of beer and spirits as gifts so we need no drink, and I'm taking some time away from alcohol anyway. So we don't need to buy anything.

Isn't it amazing how quickly you can talk yourself out of something if you use your brain rather than just heading out to the shops.  

10 comments:

  1. I agree - we empty our freezer in lazy weeks.

    Lizzie Dripping

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm busy making soup and curries out of all the leftover veg and a friend has invited himself to lunch, so he is going to get leftover cheese, chutney and crackers! You sound like you are going to have a similar New Year to us. Local pub closed (thankfully) and we cannot be bothered to haul ourselves up the hill to the village. Anyway Happy New Year and let's hope it is a good one xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy New Year to you.

      I know not everyone is a fan, but I love leftovers.

      Delete
  3. I agree. Even when I do go to the shops I like to talk myself out of buying things. I did this in the sales the other day and saved myself some money.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good work, it's easy to get sucked into sales spending once you're out there.

      Delete
  4. A good bit of talking to yourselves there with a great outcome. Enjoy the evening and 'see' you next year.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mum. Have a good evening and here's to 2015.

      Delete
  5. I know just how you feel about NYE. We used to go out, then L arrived and for the millennium eve we had a party for friends and family (much cheaper than going out plus had to feed a baby - now that's a whole different story). As L got older and stayed up to let in the new year we hired videos/DVDs that were family suitable - now they've go so we are resorting to Iplayer and such like. Secretly I would rather go to bed and catch up on zzzz.
    Carolx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a big fan of being in bed whenever possible. For the past few years someone nearby has had fireworks at midnight which is exceptionally annoying. Thankfully the rabbits aren't too bothered by them but I feel for the poor dogs in the neighbourhood.

      Enjoy your evening, hope you get your beauty sleep.

      Delete