Friday, 5 December 2014

Nice and Slow

I mentioned the other week that we'd closed our social diary, and we were happy about it, well we're even less busy now. 

Dan finally got home from Manchester last night and said he just couldn't face going back again this weekend to meet our friend. It's something we do every year and it's reached a point where we don't really enjoy it, especially the travel. We've said no to Manchester to someone else already as I said, but this is a longstanding engagement. 

Now the "we can't make it" text has been sent it's a huge relief. Dan's chosen to work at home today, and we have no plans for this weekend. We don't need to fill our time, being busy seems to be a thing, as though saying no to things or having no plans appears to be failure of some kind. I know that feeling, I used to see it as a sport I think - look at how much rushing around I'm doing, I must be so popular! I wasn't popular, I just had that fear of missing out.

Unfashionable as it is to say, I'm not adventurous, I'm not a thrill seeker, I don't have huge horizons. I like a brew, something slow cooked for tea, a nice sit down, and listening to the football scores come in on the radio preferably when I'm having an afternoon nap. I can see how people may think that's wasting my life, I call it a household winter tradition. 

12 comments:

  1. I must admit that in the winter, most of the time I'm happy to pootle about at home getting on with things and not getting stressed getting from A to B in crowds of people or lanes of traffic. A no brainer if you can do it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the one downside of being over here, it takes longer for us to get to places than it does our friends.

      Delete
  2. Your winter tradition sounds very much like mine. People look aghast when I inform them I have no plans, no desire to rush around ' seeing and doing'. I'm happy at home, pottering, or doing nothing more than sitting on the sofa knitting, reading, listening to the radio or watching a favourite TV show, or having an afternoon nap.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've used to agree to all the meet ups and things like that, and we were messed about on occasion. Now Dan just says that if people only arrange to meet because they're at a loose end one evening when they're stating with their family then they're not really that bothered about us as people, so we should go if it suits us but not if it doesn't.

      Delete
  3. I do so agree with you. I get all out of sorts if I have too many social engagements particularly the ones that involve mingling and small talk! What's wrong with enjoying the simple things in life and a quiet night in?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with you - I'm not particularly adventurous and have to 'force' myself to be exciting.

    Lizzie's Daily Blog

    ReplyDelete
  5. Batten down the hatches and stay home. It's cold out there.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rest assured I'm under a quilt, brew in hand!

      Delete
  6. It's a joy to read your posts, and all these comments, and find I'm not the only one!

    My idea of a perfect week is starting Monday with no appointments, no-one due to call, nada! Then I can choose when to walk and take advantage of decent weather, when to garden/sew/do housework stuff . . . and I get so much more done when I'm bimbling around on my own schedule.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you.

      I like having the structure of my shifts at the charity shop, it seems to just offer enough to free me up for the rest of the week. It means my bimbling time is more enjoyable.

      Delete