Monday, 3 November 2014

Two Lesser Seen Things

Further to our chat the other weekend, Dan and I had another chat about doing the right thing at the right time, rather than lots of little compromise things that don't really satisfy what we want/need to do but we do them anyway.

It lead to a very wild goosechase for some snowdrops. 

I really want to have a garden full of bulbs in the spring and I really want some snowdrops but haven't been able to find any. So we ended up at about half a dozen garden centres and shops yesterday trying to find some. We got some in the end at one of the chain garden centres - the ones where there's lots of everything, but not much in the way of plant stuff. And now half of them are in the ground. I know they might not show up next year but if they show up eventually that's good enough for me.

On our way to the many shops we drove past about 8 cars abandoned at the side of the road, very odd as there's not really anything around. Then on the way back there were more cars and lots of people with cameras with huge lenses, scopes and all manner of viewing aids. Turns out, in a small patch of wasteland for the past two days there has been a grey shrike. It doesn't happen very often. I'm not a bird person so I'd never heard of them and didn't see this one, but did manage to see a photo the bird people had snapped. It's so cute!

Dan also collected up two bags full of leaves to make into leaf mulch stuff, I've been told it's a good thing to do, and it's free so can't be bad. The veg beds are empty, bulbs are planted and lots of leaves have been removed from the garden. I can't believe how much stuff is still flowering, even some of my bedding plants. We finally bought a nice pot for my aspidistra, it's been in a horrible brown plastic pot for many years and now it has a nice white shiny pot to live in. We rounded off the weekend with a drive - yes, a waste of money but it's something we like to do. We went to Morecambe for a pint of Lancaster beer in a glass with a handle, to discuss plans for my birthday (OK, it's not until January, but we like to plan). Turns out I would like a structure for the garden, a cocktail and to go to The Midland.

10 comments:

  1. Snowdrops can be purchased 'in the green' which can be a good way if you want them in a precise spot - or so I've read as bulbs confuse me.
    Amongst other things;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I know what you mean :)

      Thanks for letting me know about bulbs in the green, I didn't know that was a thing. Might be worth getting a few while I wait for my bulbs. I'm keeping my fingers crossed it's one of those things Father tells me he has thousands of when they come to visit this weekend.

      Delete
  2. I hope the flowers do come up and we can see some pictures - I love early spring flowers.

    Lizzie's Daily Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, hopefully I'll have a lovely display, worth all the time spent planting them.

      Delete
  3. What a great idea for birthday present, the Midland! Although I always wanted to stay in the new version, I am not now so keen, as I stayed in it about a year before it closed down. There was a cycling festival based there and it wasn't too expensive to stay there. It was a little seedy but I loved its faded grandeur. I'm sorry it's not been restored a little more like the original, just newer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the way the front is being used now. We didn't attend Vintage By The Sea, but happened to be there for the Saturday night, ideal backdrop for fancy folk, old cars and bikes.

      I'm thinking of going there because there's not a great deal to do at the start of January, so somewhere warm with a nice view could be the best bet!

      Delete
    2. Did you ever see the Poirot that was filmed there and in the Lakes? It was lovely to recognise the various parts of the building, and the Sea Horse on the staircase and floors.

      Delete
    3. No, I haven't seen that, it's an ideal setting.

      Delete
  4. What a beautiful bird the Grey Shrike is. I would love to have afternoon tea at the Midland hotel
    Carolx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it beautiful.

      The afternoon tea does look good.

      Delete