Tuesday, 4 November 2014

Something I Never thought I'd Need

Inside Mooch1

Of the many things I'd never thought I'd need, OK, not need but find useful a mug cosy was very probably right up there, yet here I am looking for a mug cosy tutorial. 

It all came about yesterday when I had a day Dan always pictured me having when we moved here. One of those days where I toddled off with my shopping trolley to drop things off at the charity shop, go to the library, have a cup of coffee on the pier, do some shopping, sit in the park, and come home with something exciting. Something very exciting to me was in Home Bargains, vac-packed chestnuts 200g for 99p, about half the price of the branded ones, I haven't tried them yet but I'm very hopeful. 

For the past few weeks something has been afoot in an old clothes shop in the town. Yesterday, there is was, Mooch1. It's a homewares shop with bonus cafe. HOORAY! says the non-saving side of me. So I did all the important bits and bobs then returned on my way home. The shop only opened last Friday so is very new and lovely. There are very few floral things, HOORAY! Just lots of nicely designed, simple, attractive things that do the job (without a huge price tag) and not a tin of chalk paint in sight. If you like shabby chic/French Country and all things frilly there may not be a ton of stuff in there for you, but there are a few florals, candles and shiny things so you never ever know. For someone like me who loves simple yet beautiful it couldn't be better. Other than when I have no money, when it will taunt me!

I was armed with my Desire Map money so instead of buying lipstick and mascara as planned, I bought a couple of things from the house wants list. Two tealight holders for the top of the fire (£3.99 each), they're made from recycled glass and are narrow enough for the very narrow ledge we have. Also two enamel cups - visible on the table in the picture (£5.50 each), I have always wanted some of these for drinks in the garden and for when we're out and about having a picnic. Cups were on the list as we only have five, of which one is chipped and another has a dodgy handle. The chipped one is now a pen pot. 

Obviously the enamel cups do get rather hot when full of tea so yesterday I had to put mine in a sock, but then for the first time I realised why people had those mug cosies that were so popular a little while ago. Dan seemed overly excited at the the idea and wants a yellow one. So that's the plan. We'll see how it goes. 

Mooch1 is situated on Garden Street in St Anne's on the Sea, opposite the indoor market and JR Taylor, just along from the Halifax Bank. It goes without saying I paid for the stuff myself and all that.


12 comments:

  1. The shop looks great. I like the name too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks like a lovely shop. I love all of the white lampshades.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're really striking and make the place look great from outside too.

      Delete
  3. Never heard of it in Scotland, but I have to say that homey shops are my downfall.. So I avoid them at all costs! Sounds like you got some great bargains though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's just a one-off shop in my town. I know what you mean about avoiding at all costs, I'll walk into town by another route when I'm on my way to the bank!

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. It is a fab name, mooch is a word I use a lot!

      Delete
  5. It reminds me of an early Habitat. I was thinking of crocheting a mug cosy but not yet got around to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is a bit like Habitat. I'll show you my mug cosies when they're done, no matter how they turn out!

      Delete
  6. That looks my like my sort of shop. I really like the blue/white bread bin and china in the bottom left of the picture x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know not everyone would like to hear about shops, but it's so nice to see someone opening a shop rather than closing one I thought it was worth a mention. Fun to look at, even if it's just window shopping!

      Delete